Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:14 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Man this is like a an age old tale, I mean it was 4 years ago I was saying about the same thing! Starting off the slant 6 is an endurance race, not a quarter mile....

A buddy purchased a nova with a fairly nice 350, he ripped that out and shoved a 454 with fairly nice Wilwood brakes. It was rubbed in my face that my slant six wouldn't stand a chance in the quarter mile, and he was absolutely correct. His parents paid for that and offered to pay for school. He choose not to go to college and put a lot of work into his car. I did get to put nice stuff in my car, but never was it as fast as that Nova.

Now I have a degree, a 60k salary, a career and a car I'm proud of because I have worked on it. Soon, it will be very fast!

So now that the lecturing is done, I would put a lot of stock in suspension (bushing rebuild), brakes, and mileage. First off, gas prices will go up and he will not be driving that car much soon. Second, I put a bigger camshaft in and was more disappointed than before, so that being said.

*819 camshaft from Oregon Cam grinders
*shave the head with bigger valves
*more fuel through a bigger carb

That is all enough to keep you happy, and if you are still working on stuff this summer i might be able to help you more if your in the Salem area!
Thanks for the opinions, I really do want to just enjoy the car but I do need a fresh motor, mines close to being on it's way out the door so I will do bigger valves, cam, head shave and should I go with a 2 barrel or a 4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 am 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Factory 2 barrel manifolds are easy to come by and much cheaper, and for a good running car would be fine. Lots of those who race use 2 barrel with good results.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:42 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
Nongan, you should come to woodburn in a few weeks. We can tell you just about all you want to know in person, plus you can see what it takes to make a slant fast.

~RDE~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:07 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Agreed, talking face to face and seeing some combinations will certainly help. Hopefully you have a little bit of a budget. That being said did you buy that industrial slant six? If you didn't I got some stuff that was going to be part of summer cleaning that I would make you an awesome deal on, it still needs some machining, but would be a great starting place if your serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:06 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Too bad your not in Florida :) I wouldn't mind taking a crack at that cougar on the strip. Just do what makes you the happiest I've had my duster since I was 16 and i'm now 21 (still pluggin my way through college) it's finally getting to where I dreamed back in highschool a couple years ago. Competition is a good thing which is why i'm after my buddies ls1 camaror with bolt ons but it's really not a big deal if i can't catch him theirs always someone faster out there. Like I said i'm a young fella like yourself and I also want a "fast" car but i didnt' want to sacrifice being unique to just slap a v8 in it, because you can make anything fast with enough innovation and of course CASH.

Bang for your buck get that motor in good working order even with stock short block shave the block or head to get desired compression pop a cam in that beast get a header/intake i'd say 4bbl but 2bbl works too. My spare motor could hang with mustangs off the bottle and all I really did was pick a cam i liked pump the compression up and put alot of time grinding and oversize valves into my cylinder head.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hey Fopar where are these easy to come by 2bbl manifolds? I want in on the secret to finding one! Ive looked in a lot of yards in the portland area closer to gresham, only place i havent gone is wildcat (havent had time for a drive out there) is there any at wildcat and how much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Quote:
Hey Fopar where are these easy to come by 2bbl manifolds? I want in on the secret to finding one! Ive looked in a lot of yards in the portland area closer to gresham, only place i havent gone is wildcat (havent had time for a drive out there) is there any at wildcat and how much?
I think if you look for a 4 barrel manifold, you will have to spend a lot of time and $ to get one. The stock 2 barrel manifolds will not be as easy to find as the stock single carb, but are used on the super 6 cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Barrel ... ccessories

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
hmm well i was gonna do a super six cuz i have a 2bbl i got for free thats rebuilt. But its a large bore bbd and id have to make an adapter plate to mount it. I might as well go look for a holley 1920 for now since my the throttle body i replaced on my 1945 doesnt have a ported spark tube so timing is always advanced :shock: not to mention the accelerator pump doesnt work :? when is the woodburn event? I might come down if i can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:12 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Woodburn is June 25/26 come on down even for one day.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:00 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ok thanks. Another thing Nongan like you, i also would like to make my truck fast, but with fast things it takes money. Im kinda tight on money right now so ive mainly been doing cosmetic things. Looks are what turn heads...and sound. I have friends that have newer and nicer trucks than me and friends that drive mercedes and bmw's, but i like having an older truck even if its slow. Besides how many people can say they have a leaning tower of power? :lol: Everyone has a V8, but you gotta be cool to have a slant six 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:28 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
All American Classics in Vancouver WA had/has a two barrel manifold. I found it in a pool of water that had accumulated in the trunk of a dart when I was down there a few weeks ago. It was completely submerged and was pretty rusty, but could be cleaned up. The joys of an afternoon in the junkyard

:lol: