Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:34 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
Here's my '70 /6 powered Duster apparatus. Work in progress (and like most all my projects, likely to remain that status forever). Please excuse the a/c work underway in these photos. And, no, a nitrous sticker is the only NO2 piece installed in the car at this time ;) ...that's left over from the days when the car was bone stock, and was originally meant as a joke!

S/D Six Duster specs:

>Original 225 block bored .060 over (that comes out to something like 232 for the "chevy types" who like to add up all the new-found displacement ;) - Don't want people thinking I'm running a Jeep motor, though...)
>Stock l/c cast pistons (flopped), stock "loose" bottom end
>Stock oiling (filter relocated right-side up, w/ check valve). Adjustable pressure relief spring.
>Comp Cams 264S (264 deg adv duration, .440" lift)
>Ported, polished, "blueprinted" head (mid '70's taper plug style). Stock dia backcut valves, 340 springs w/ dampers. 9.14:1 compression
>Offy four barrel intake, Carter 4294S AFB (rated 400CFM), stock Carter pump, fresh air induction
>Stock Chrysler Electronic ign, orange ECU, accel coil, stock resistor.
>Clifford Research full length headers, 3 into 2, crossover pipe, duals.
>Lightweight ND starter/alternator/compressor
>Original (but tweaked) 904 trans, 2.74:1 low gear planetaries. TCI "Breakaway" converter stalling at approx. 2200RPM
>7.25" 3.23:1 open differential.
>Time trials are run on 14X6" Cragar s/s shod with 22" tall T/A drag radials.
>approx. 3050lbs, 3300lbs race weight w/ driver.

15.7@90 Best time to date. Edit: Make that 15.58 ;) Next efforts will be to recurve dist, looser converter to reduce 60' times.....

P. S. - Thanks, '74 Sport, for advising me how to put pictures here :)

Last edited by Dennis Weaver on Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:25 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:54 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Cool! You gotta love a Duster. :shock: :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:26 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Glad to help. Looks like you have a good handle on posting pics now. :wink:
Nice, clean, and organized. Just like I like it. Where did all the chrome come from?

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:57 pm 
Board Sponsor

Which chrome? There's the $5 junkyard chrome valve cover I found (I think it's a Trans-Dapt, pretty nice and thick, but I had to epoxy in some baffles for the PCV and breather). Then there are several hand made aluminum bits and pieces, but I didn't think there was an abundance of chrome goodies! :? :)

Thanks again,
"DW"

P. S. - I see all those carb stains look pretty sleazy. That "just happens" on a daily driver. All cleaned up, now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:42 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Did you just paint the A/C compressor and alternator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:48 pm 
Board Sponsor

Yep. Just dull aluminum engine paint... Sorry.

Head is painted aluminum also, can't get a real one, so I figured I'd fake some unsuspecting chevy guys out ;) Block is "basic black"...

"DW"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Still, all in all, it looks good. 8)

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:49 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
There is a '72 Duster for sale around the corner from me. Wish I could afford to get that one too.

Previous F-Body owned:
'80 Volaré Coupe, /6-Super

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:16 am 
Board Sponsor

S/D Six Duster specs added to original post.

"DW"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:14 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Nice times, DW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:59 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Err, S/D = Six Duster? Sorry, I'm a bit slow today ;)

Edit: Err duh read the title! Silly me. I usually go through all the posts of a message but often pass the title. D'oh. :oops:

Dennis, is that the original hood/scoopes/aircleaner that came with the twister package or did you add that on? I figured its a Twister car because it has the sharktooth grill as well.

I have another duster twister that came with a /6 and sharktooth grill and decals, but I'm trying to figure out what the proper scoupes are for it.

Also, what alternator is that off of and did it just drop right in? That doesn't look like the stock pulley because of the bolt in the center.

Last edited by Pierre on Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: A/C compressor ??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:38 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Dennis,
Please tell me about that A/C compressor? Brand? model? Mounting brackets? Other parts? I need to upgrade from that old RV2 dinosaur on my 1976 Valiant.

Thanks!
Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
Err, S/D = Six Duster? Sorry, I'm a bit slow today ;)

Dennis, is that the original hood/scoopes/aircleaner that came with the twister package or did you add that on? I figured its a Twister car because it has the sharktooth grill as well.

I have another duster twister that came with a /6 and sharktooth grill and decals, but I'm trying to figure out what the proper scoupes are for it.

Also, what alternator is that off of and did it just drop right in? That doesn't look like the stock pulley because of the bolt in the center.
Sorry for the delayed reaction, I have been away from here for a while...

Anyway, no, it's not a Twister, it's a '70 plain-jane Duster. I procured the scoops and the grille separately. I eventually want the spoiler, and Twister style graphics (if and when I ever paint the car back to its original lime green). I would really like a set of the rally-style mirrors (I'd prefer painted over chrome), but everybody I meet that has some is freaking ludicrous with their price... (Thanks, ebay!)

I had at one time a '71 Twister which I built into a 360/4-speed car, and I liked the look. It, too, had the dodge-style twin scoops (a '71 - '72 item), but not all Twisters came with the scoops. They were purely non-functional when it did. The wheels on this car are something I retained from that Twister, albiet widened to 7" in the rear.

The alt is a Nippon-Denso unit out of a Chrysler minivan, maybe late 80's. It's 90 amp and lighter, smaller, and less rotor mass than the original. Charges great @ idle. It was almost a drop in. Had to grind just a bit off of the cast block bracket (where it goes between the alternator ears)... I think it was from the back side. I'm talking like an .100" or so, if that. I made some nice spade adapters to go from the N/D nut-style field contacts to the factory wiring harness without cutting anything. Electrically, it hooks up identically to the Chrysler unit, but you would be avised to upgrade your charge wire and ammeter to handle the extra current it may see. This is on my endless list of things "to do", but I've suffered no problems with the cheesy factory wiring in the meanwhile.
The pulley on the minivan was for a serpentine belt, I got the one you see from an alternator/starter shop for a couple bucks, but I had to make the counterbore it a bit deeper to get the nut on. There should be a bolt on pulley though, perhaps on an older minivan that came with v-belts...

D/W

Post subject: Re: A/C compressor ??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:35 pm 
Quote:
Dennis,
Please tell me about that A/C compressor? Brand? model? Mounting brackets? Other parts? I need to upgrade from that old RV2 dinosaur on my 1976 Valiant.

Thanks!
Craig
It's a Nippon-Denso rotary unit robbed from a '77 or '78 Dodge Aspirin... (of course what you're going after here is the brackets, the compressors are readily available in freshened up form at your local Idiot Auto Parts). Brackets are a direct bolt on, but note, the later model unit seems to take a narrower belt, so a person might want to grab the lower pulley from the Aspirin as well. The trick to scoring one of these setups is finding one w/o an air pump, since that is what tensions the belt on this style compressor. The cars that came without air pumps have a nice idler bracket that takes up the space where the air pump normally goes on those less fortunate cars that did. You'll have to have some custom hoses made up. I stuck with the original style condeser with the inlet on the driver's side and the outlet on the passenger side which nessecitates that the hoses criss-cross at the compressor. It'd probably look cleaner and be better if I had adapted to the later-style condenser which has a single hook-up (inlet and outlet) on the passenger side. I had to fabricate some brackets to support the rear of the compressor, but only because of my headers. Otherwise, the stock Aspirin-style stuff will bolt right up. Probably any Volare/Aspen/Dippy/Gran Fury/5th Ave/even a truck with a six and this style compressor would be a suitable donor.

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Awesome Duster! Clean engine compartment nice details. Does Carter or Edelbrock make that carb today? Where did you find that sticker?

YEAH, IT'S GOTTA SIX!