Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I have a 1986 Dodge D150 with the slant six engine. I am trying to put it back as OEM as pratical. I have the Holley 1945 carb with a Stop Idle Switch Solenoid. I have the service manual and parts catalog. Now the problems:

1. Which wires go to the Stop Idle Switch Solenoid? My connector from the wiring harness was cut off. The Stop Idle Switch Solenoid has a red wire and a black wire. The black wire appears to connect to the shaft of the solenoid. I believe the red wire connects to the solenoid coil but I can't prove it. The service manual says that a violet wire and a dark green wire goes to the solenoid. I have found a violet wire that has 12V on it when the A/C is on. Does it go to the red wire or the black wire of the solenoid? I have found a dark green wire in the vicinity but don't know if it is the correct wire for the solenoid. It is not connected to anything.

2. There was no Stop Idle Solenoid relay installed in the truck. The service catalog does not show one for a 225 engine but does for a 360 4bbl engine. I have purchased a NOS Stop Idle Solenoid relay. I DO have a two circuit connector (white w/red stripe wire and brown wire) and a one circuit connector (dark blue wire) that is in the wiring harness next to the starter relay. They appear to have been connected to a relay at some time in the past. Unfortunately, the two circuit connector could be connected two different ways. I assume the exposed brass parts of the connector would go to the inside of the relay but don't know for sure. So...do I even need this relay and if so, how should I wire it?

3. The service manual shows the male and female connectors for the solenoid. It says that the connectors are viewed from the terminal side. If that is the case, then you would have to rotate the female connector 180 degrees to mate with the male connector. This is an important point as it determines which wire connects to the which terminal on the solenoid connector. See page 8-186 of the Service Manual.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Did you ever find the answer to your wiring problem?

I also have a 1986 D150 with a slant 6.

My problem is that the last owner cut a lot of the wires and rewired using his own wire color code so I am also lost at times with fixing problems.

Even replacing the radio is an issue because he took the power for the radio and ran it somewhere else.

I just ordered two different types of shop repair manuals hopefully they will help me.
If I find them helpful with the wiring I will let you know perhaps I can share some of the information with you once they arrive.

ArmySgt

Post subject: Idle Stop Solenoid
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:39 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
No, I have not worked on that problem any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:16 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hey fellas I feel your pain. I have an 86 d100 that the P/O Butchered up pretty bad. I got most of it working pretty smooth but still have lots of work to do. On mine the green wire is connected to the red of the solenoid and the violet wire connected to the Black of the solenoid by way of the connector coming from the solenoid.

Post subject: Idle Stop Solenoid
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:05 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks for the wire color information. I will try to find those color wires in the engine harness.