Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: rocker assembly
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:51 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
its now time for me to finish up the top end. i cleaned up the rockers and shaft, now its time to grease it all up and put them together. i noticed that one of my bolts is extra long (closest hole to the back in the head, shows to have no threads up top, and deeper.) curious why that is.

also im wondering which direction the shaft goes. i noticed there seem to be small oil holes on one side, wondering if that shoots towards the "drool toobs" or valve springs. i noticed inside the rockers, the oiling slot is towards the springs i believe. the way it seemed to be set up originally was towards the tubes.

what kind of clearance do you guys like for side to side movement

also from the oregon cam spec card, it says to set intake- .012 exhaust .014.
is this the cold number, or hot?

what should i set the valve adjustment to for initial run.

oh also, what is the torque for the rocker shaft bolts. thanks and if there is anything else you think i need, please let me know

Post subject: Re: rocker assembly
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:03 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Quote:
its now time for me to finish up the top end. i cleaned up the rockers and shaft, now its time to grease it all up and put them together. i noticed that one of my bolts is extra long (closest hole to the back in the head, shows to have no threads up top, and deeper.) curious why that is.
Because the slant six uses the rearmost rocker shaft bolt hole to feed pressurized oil up into the rocker arm shaft and out through the holes in the shaft to the rocker arms.

This diagram is for a hydraulic lifter motor, so just ignore the bit about the oil going down the push rods. On a non-hydraulic lifter motor the oil dribbles out the end of the rocker arms and down into the lifter valley and then back into the oil pan from whence it came.

Quote:
also im wondering which direction the shaft goes. i noticed there seem to be small oil holes on one side, wondering if that shoots towards the "drool toobs" or valve springs. i noticed inside the rockers, the oiling slot is towards the springs i believe. the way it seemed to be set up originally was towards the tubes.
At the end of the rocker arm shaft, there is a little flat. The flat needs to go to the front of the engine facing up. You can see it in this picture:

Quote:
also from the oregon cam spec card, it says to set intake- .012 exhaust .014.
is this the cold number, or hot?

what should i set the valve adjustment to for initial run.
This is beyond my ken.
Quote:
oh also, what is the torque for the rocker shaft bolts. thanks
25 foot pounds

Quote:
and if there is anything else you think i need, please let me know
Factory service manuals are very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:19 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Not knowing what cam you have, the lash specs seem very tight for the exhaust. Normal valve lash setting when hot, is .010" intake and .020" exhaust, for mech. lifters with a stock cam. Factory manual recommends temporary cold setting of .012 and .028 before a hot engine adjustment, I think the general practice is at least +.002 when set cold.

My advice is to publish the number of the Erson cam, and see what other members with the same cam recommends. You could also make a search to see if the same question has come up in the forum earlier.

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:32 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
For rocker arm clearance, see this link: Rocker Arm "spacers" to align arms..?.

Rocker shaft bolt torque is 25 foot-pounds.

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
erson number? its oregon cam grind number 125.

here is the cam card
Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:12 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
i looked on my rocker shaft, and i see no flat areas what so ever on either end of the shaft. so can someone tell me another way to figure out the correct direction.

front of motor

rear of motor

the red rocket! lol and my 55 oval right beside it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
In the pics the engine is straight up, but if you slant it, the old deposits inside the ends of the rocker shaft in the pics - and also the text in one end, will be horizontal, so I'll guess the position shown when you took the photos, would probably be the way it was assembled earlier.

Have you cleaned the channels in the shaft?

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:36 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
you have the shaft 180degs off, roll it over and face the oil hole at the valves,pointing down slightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:12 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
From the markings along the shaft where it is clamped down, shows that the way it sits was how it was assembled before I had the car. It could be wrong but seemed it work lol. But one says the shaft should be spinned 180 degrees. So the holes in the shaft would be pointed down towards valves, which is where the oil slot is inside the rocker?

For cleaning the shaft I brakecleaned it up swished it around and blew air through it

Also I noticed the shaft doesn't seem perfectly straight, it kinda rocks in the saddles of the head, and is even worse when spun 180' to where the shaft should be positioned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:56 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
When I first got my Dart, I pulled the valve to clean oil passages in rockers. I found the rocker shaft was installed incorrectly by previous owner, which as stated previously should have oil holes pointing in direction of valve springs.

As for the whoop in that shaft, once bolted in position it will become negligible because the total span is broken into six smaller spans.

Just make sure the rockers are able to pass oil through the passages within them, and oil down the whole shoot’in match well during assembly with engine oil.