Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
The passenger side motor mount on my brother's 83 Dodge van appears to be bulging and there are longitudinal fractures in the rubber:

Sorry for the lousy pic. I was on my back replacing the transmission and snapped the shot with my iPhone.

Dodge vans never got spool mounts for the engine and stuck with sandwich mounts. The latest date that this mount would have been replaced would be when I installed the motor in this van back in 2000. If you look close, you can see that the plate on the motor side of the mount is misaligned with the outboard mount by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

What do you think, should I replace it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I definitely would. With one of these if there's money in the budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 am 
Supercharged

Thanks! I will give those poly mounts serious consideration. The replacements listed on rockauto cost a whole $3.27 each for the premium mount. I have to say I just don't trust a $3 motor mount.

Hey, do you like the gigantic oil filter on my brother's slant? :lol: Granted there is a oil cooler adapter sandwiched under there, but I think that is about the tallest filter that will fit on a slant six! Wix 51773.

Say, Dan, do you, by chance, know of a source for poly or at least quality replacement transmission mounts for an 83 Dodge van with a 904? I have purchased two Anchor brand tranny mounts (again, $3 each) and there are so poorly manufactured that the rubber wobbles in the metal mount and spins freely in the mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:52 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Thanks! I will give those poly mounts serious consideration. The replacements listed on rockauto cost a whole $3.27 each for the premium mount. I have to say I just don't trust a $3 motor mount (…) I have purchased two Anchor brand tranny mounts (again, $3 each) and there are so poorly manufactured that the rubber wobbles in the metal mount and spins freely in the mount.
Hey, now. They have to do something with ground-up political dissidents and unwanted baby girls in China, otherwise they'd build up and become a health hazard. :roll:

I ran one of those big tall oil filters once or twice. Occasional overkill is fun.
Quote:
Say, Dan, do you, by chance, know of a source for poly or at least quality replacement transmission mounts for an 83 Dodge van with a 904?
Anchor claim it's used from '67-'89 for "Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth", which suggests some passenger car applications…and yes, I do believe I've found it (search page for TMBT).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:58 am 
Supercharged

Yes, you found it Dan. Thanks a million!

I realize now that I should have put quotation marks around the word rubber in the original post. :wink: