Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Ammeter Discharge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:52 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
My car started fine this morning, a little slow to crank but fired right up. It was still dark so I had might lights on and they seemed a bit dim. I drove to the gas station and when turning in, I turned the blinker on and my radio turned off.

I filled up and restarted the car, fired right up, turned over fine.

While sitting at a stop sign I noticed that it didn't look like my 3rd brake light was on. I turned onto the on ramp and while on the gas I tapped the brake and the light came on. I let off the gas and tapped the brake and nothing.

On the interstate, I turned the radio back on. While running down the interstate, I signaled a lane change and the radio temporarily turned off again. This is when I noticed the ammeter registering a discharge. I continued my hour drive to work and turned off all the lights, radio etc as soon as possible.

I made it into town to work and parked. I left the car running and turned the blinkers on, nothing happened, no blinkers. I shut the blinkers off and turned on the headlights and it immediately caused the car to die. It is now completely dead.

I had a past issue with the wiring harness where it plugs together at the rear of the valve cover. It had melted at the connection and had caused the blinker/radio issue before. I jumped the wiring harness with new wire and butt connectors and everything has been functioning correctly until today.

Battery and voltage regulator are about a year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I just walked back out to the car to check the connection of the wire where I by passed the wiring harness connection. It wasn't loose. Got in the car and turned the key on and ammeter did move. Turned key and got a few clicks. It was completely dead. So sitting there over the course of 20 minutes, it seems to have regained some charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Alternator tested bad. I am going to replace that and see how it goes. I immediately posted, expecting the worst since my last issue was a wiring gremlin. Hopefully this gets me back on the road.