Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Stock 6 bolt oil pump mods for feeding oil to gears, i have searched the matrix and can`t find it. i was look for the best place to drill the standoff tube, in the pump or the block also what to make the tube it self from? i thought it was a roll-pin, or was it brake line. cant remember. anybody help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Look 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down the page for "special oilers" topic:

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic ... &start=105

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:21 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
thanks ,i wanted to see the oil pump pressure feed line route, i am going to use it on the street engine see if i can make it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:50 am 
Guru

Car Model:
I developed a different way to feed pressurized oil to the gears, by drilling a couple of holes into the oil pump itself.
This process keeps all the modification work in the oil pump, so once modified, the "gear oiler" pump assembly can be used in any block.

Basically, a small hole is drilled from the pump housing's impeller "pressure" cavity, 1/2 way down into the housing's shaft stem bore, making sure that it breaks-out in the area where the impeller's shaft has a unground reduction on it.

A second hole is drilled from the end / top edge of the pump housing's shaft stem, where the gear rides. This hole has to break into the same "reduction area". (now holding pressurized oil, delivered thru the first hole)

On pump housings that have a thin wall on the end of the housing's shaft stem, (cross section) I drill the second hole in the middle of the stem and add a small tube to deliver the pressurize oil to the gears.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:34 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
so doug if i understand you, the oil will spray on the back of the gear if i have the stock pump that has a thicker stem dia. the only thing i can`t picture is the location to drill the hole behind the impeller in the housing ? should it be at 12 o clock position so oil is feed on top of the gear.how big is the drilled holes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:40 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
Yes, the exit hole or added "tube" dumps the stream of oil right onto the back edge of the gear. In fact, the stream will shoot between the teeth as the gaps pass by.... just what we what to have happen.

The first feed hole starts from the high pressure side "pocket", below the impeller. This is the area where the passage leading to the oil filter starts. The pressure relief valve bore also enters into that area.

Once you look at the inside of a pump, you will see a place on the floor of that cavity, near the inner wall, that lends itself to the location of the first drilled hole. I start that hole at .093 or even .125 diameter and step-down to a .032, right before it breaks into the shaft's bore. (you drill at an angle and it's a long hole to drill, especially in cast iron)

I will see if I can get a photo of one.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:12 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
thanks doug, i am using the stock alum body 6 bolt pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:26 am 
Guru

Car Model:
The die-cast factory pump housing is pretty thin at the end of the stem so a small tube should be used to deliver the pressurized oil to the gear.
The last one I did used a loop of wire & epoxy to hold the tube in place.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:05 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
doug i have drilled the pump to the shoulder and used a piece of plastic oil line, i used 5 min epoxy , it stuck to the housing but not the hose, i had some copper oil line and can`t find it . do you know of any place i can buy some steel or copper line? i was thinking the epoxy might holed the metal line better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:48 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
just found some 1/8" copper line at local autoparts,going to see if i can feed the line back the drilled hole to make it more secured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:53 am 
Guru

Car Model:
I use N2O steel hard line or 1/8 copper tubing found in most hardware stores. (also check old water heater pilot assemblies for small tubing)

One thing I do when using a section of tubing is wrap a piece of "bailing wire" around the stem and over the tube at it's half-way piont, then "pot" everything in epoxy.

Grind or file a shallow horizontal groove, into the pump shaft's stem, on the opposit side of the feed tube, to hold the wire 'wrap" in position and keep it from moving off the tappered shaft stem OD.
Fold-over the wire's "twisted end" so it sits next to the feed tube.
Doing this helps to hold the epoxy next to the tube.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
I developed a different way to feed pressurized oil to the gears, by drilling a couple of holes into the oil pump itself.
This process keeps all the modification work in the oil pump, so once modified, the "gear oiler" pump assembly can be used in any block.

Basically, a small hole is drilled from the pump housing's impeller "pressure" cavity, 1/2 way down into the housing's shaft stem bore, making sure that it breaks-out in the area where the impeller's shaft has a unground reduction on it.

A second hole is drilled from the end / top edge of the pump housing's shaft stem, where the gear rides. This hole has to break into the same "reduction area". (now holding pressurized oil, delivered thru the first hole)

On pump housings that have a thin wall on the end of the housing's shaft stem, (cross section) I drill the second hole in the middle of the stem and add a small tube to deliver the pressurize oil to the gears.
DD

Doc, Do you have any pics of the newer style pump modification?

I am interested in trying this method at some point.

Thnaks,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
thanks doug ,i never thought of grooving the housing to hold the wire!! was worrying of it slipping off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
i have taken some pictures of what i have done, i ended with the hole at 9oclock and not 12oclock, not enough meat on housing to us a 1/8 drill. the finished hole might have been to low, not sure untill i get this back together. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 ... good-times http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/24 ... good-times http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 ... good-times http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/22 ... good-times http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/25 ... good-times http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/22 ... good-times http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 ... good-times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
TLJ

thanks, what is the welded bung for on the oil pump cap?