Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:42 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hi all,

I am in the planning stages for a build i've been drooling over for a while now- a twin turbo setup for the slant six in my 73 duster. I understand that a single turbo fits better, gives just as much boost, etc., and I'm not concerned about all that. I want to do this build just to see if it can be done, and what kind of results will be the outcome, etc.

The question I have is this; can I put a low-mount starter/small-block 727 in my duster without interfering with the k-frame? I figure that a low position starter will clear up alot of room topside and eliminate one of the major concerns about the rear turbo in the dual dutra-type setup.

If so, I'm going to have to start picking around junkyards for the adapter plate in an early slant six truck; that being said, if it will fit and you know anyone with one that they are willing to part ways with, please let me know!

Thank you

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:30 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Never tried it, but I don't think it will fit. The spacer being about 1- 1 1/2 inches thick will push the trans mounting flange back against the firewall. I know you insist on a dual turbo, but a single one is going to be much easier, and less ex$pensive.

Post subject: Ask Lou...
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:32 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I think Dart 270 is running something similar in one of his cars...It should fit the duster, but you may need to massage the firewall with a BFH if there is space issues. Most likely you might be looking at a truck A-727, and making an adaptor rear mount for your crossmember instead and shortening your driveline.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:31 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Twin turbo was my original plan with my 68 Dart when I put an A500 trans in the car using the factory /6 to 727-A adapter plate. I relocated the engine 5/8" forward and it all works pretty well. You'll probably have an easier time with a 727-A than I did with the big OD unit.

The car has a single T4 turbo now, and is getting faster. I decided for my first turbo install, one was enough. I may get around to 2 later, just for kicks...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
lou,

Did moving the mounts forward help with the fittment of the transmission or the starter? Do you think the starter will clear the k-frame with the standard mounts? If the 727 can fit with, say, a transmission swap mount and some tender body work on the transmission hump, I would rather go with the stock location mounts just for ease

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Not sure if the main bellhousing will clear the firewall with stock mt location, but might be OK. Starter should be fine. I used mini starter, though. My guess is a 727 will be fine with everything back under the trans hump and rear mount, whether you have stock motor mounts or moved fwd.

If it were me, I'd just find a Slant 6 727 and not bother with the adapter plate. You can sell the plate for $150-250, I would guess. Oh, maybe the Slant 727 is high starter??

Lou

Post subject: Fyi.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Did moving the mounts forward help with the fittment of the transmission or the starter? Do you think the starter will clear the k-frame with the standard mounts?
One thing to note Lou's car has sandwich mounts so he has some options to move those around, the 73 duster has spool mounts which will require much more welding and metal skills to move the 'claws' forward from their position on the K-member.

I'd vote for late slant six 727...

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:25 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
It's more about starter relocation than the 727, i planned to put a slant 727 in anyways, but i would rather go with the truck one to get the starter out of the way so a small rear turbo mounted on a dutra setup would have the necessary clearance. I figured as much about the mounts, that i s why i was hesitant about having the repositioned. If I can't find an adapter I will most likely have a downpipe fabbed up that will allow me to move the exhaust over the header and to the other side of the starter; if I were to do that, however, I am not sure if it would clear the inner fenderwell and the brake master