Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: BBD Start Problems
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:50 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
After putting a carb kit in my 2 barrel BBD this summer, I've noticed that the engine seems to turn over more to start from cold. I sometimes only start the vehicle once or twice a week, so it's hard to pin down what's going on, but I'm thinking that maybe the floats might be set a bit low. It acts as if there's not enough gas left in the carb when the engine is shut off. Doesn't matter if the car has been sitting for a week or just overnight and I don't think the fuel line mod would help, because sometimes the engine is barely warmed up when I shut it down. When I look down the carb, I only get about two pump shots and then nothing until the engine is cranked several times. Once it starts it works perfectly, with good warm up , smooth idle and no hesitation. I usually only check my mileage on my annual trip out of province to a show in New Brunswick, and if anything, my mileage increased this year. Because it works so well other than the cold start issue, I'm reluctant to take it apart again. Any thoughts? Weak fuel pump? Float level? Clogged fuel filter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:56 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Inlet needle and seat not sealing quite as well as it should -- the one available from www.daytonaparts.com is a better design. Fuel pump with leaky valves allowing fuel to drain down backward through the fuel line.

It's not a clogged fuel filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:16 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
Inlet needle and seat not sealing quite as well as it should -- the one available from www.daytonaparts.com is a better design. Fuel pump with leaky valves allowing fuel to drain down backward through the fuel line.

It's not a clogged fuel filter.
Thanks, Dan. Good tip on the needle and seat - and my pump could very well be the original from 1981, it was on the engine when I bought it in '93. It's soon time to put the car away for the year, so I probably won't do anything until spring, guess I should have posted back in June. Truth is I hardly drove it this year at all.