Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Checked my oil for the first time since I purchased vehicle, saw it was a little low so I drove to store after work and put a quart of oil in car. Car was hot when I went to put it in and when I removed oil breather/cap I noticed there was smoke coming from the hole where cap was.

It was not excessive, but definitely noticeable. Should I be alarmed or is this normal? Thank you for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:47 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Valiant V200
Normal

Post subject: Oil
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:13 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
If you just bought the car and just checked the oil! Get it changed. Slant Six's will live just about forever, with fresh oil. Take the car go to a oil change shop and have it changed it's cheap get the old dirty stuff out and in about a month have it changed again, then follow the manufactures suggestions. Try to use an oil with a Zinc content it will be listed on the can as either as "has Zinc" or MS service. There are other ways to do this also buy a Zinc additive or use STP it has lots of Zinc in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
A fresh oil and filter change is an excellent idea. Playing driveway petrochemist and adding gunkum of whatever kind to your oil isn't such a hot idea. There are a lot of ghost stories going around about how today's oil will kill your old engine to death. That's not so; see here and here.

Make sure to use a good quality filter, which means no Frams. A Wix 51515 (NAPA Gold 1515) or Purolator L30001 is a fine choice.

Make sure your PCV system is in good shape and working correctly, but know that a little(!) white smoke visible as you describe is normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:16 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
If you want a good high detergent oil, run diesel oil. Depending on your engine wear and climate 15W-40 maybe too heavy, but they have started make diesel oil in lighter weights now (5W-30, 10W30).

Get the filter that Dan recommends.

Post subject: Re: Oil
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
STP it has lots of Zinc in it.
A recent STP Oil Treatment virgin oil analysis suggests that it only contains 669 PPM of phosphorus, which is the antiwear component of ZDDP. STP is basically just an oil thickener with enough additives to not dilute your engine oil very much.

If you want enough ZDDP in your oil, just buy one that is already formulated with it. Heavy Duty Engine Oils (HDEO or diesel oils) have enough and are designed for gasoline engine use when there is a S-rating (like SM, SL, etc) in the API donut. CJ-4 HDEOs are limited to 1200 PPM of phosphorus whereas earlier (like CI-4, CH-4, etc) have no phosphorus limit. 10W-30 HDEOs aren't that hard to find and you can also use 0W-30 or 5W-30.

Last edited by FrankRaso on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
The smoke is oil droplets coming off the rocker arms and dripping onto the hot spark plug tubes..