Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: New turbo slant 6 owner
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:13 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:

Some of you may recognize this car. It's been for sale for probably a year or more. I had seen it on a few forums as well as E-bay and Craigslist before it finally reached a price point I was happy with.

It runs a draw through turbo setup. It came with a 600 vacuum secondary carb, but it had drivability issues that I couldn't sort out with the vacuum secondaries, so I threw a 600 dbl pumper on it and it's much, much better now.

This setup still has one major issue, that is it likes to die when coming to a stop, or slowing greatly to make a hard right turn. I'm not sure if it's going dead rich, or dead lean when this happens. All I know is that it likes to sit for about 30 seconds and then it starts right up. Giving it gas doesn't help, and neither does holding the throttle wide open to clear a flooded engine. It just likes to sit and rest ;)

Anyway, that's where it's at right now. I've only had the car for a week. I'm sure I'll get this sorted out.

The engine is running a Mopar electronic distributor with a silver control box. The original owner had the ballast resistor bypassed. Is that correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
that is a beauty, hope to see more of it here on .org :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:44 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Does the carb mounting manifold have hot water to the bottom of it? I have a draw thru setup and had to use water heat to the carb adapter, to get it to idle decently.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:42 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looks like a great car! Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the braking/fuel issues. Could be the primary float bowl is going dry due to acceleration? Seems unlikely since it's DP carb. Check float level and maybe raise a bit above std setting to see if that changes it.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I didn't know they put slants in tanks!

Cool car!

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:03 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
Does the carb mounting manifold have hot water to the bottom of it? I have a draw thru setup and had to use water heat to the carb adapter, to get it to idle decently.
Ya know it has two open ports. I was wondering what they were for... Sounds like I have a bit of work in store for me. I'll check in just a few, but I bet those are water ports. Can't imagine what else it could be...

Thanks for the tip!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:13 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
I didn't know they put slants in tanks!

Cool car!
First year of the slanty. It's not a tank...:wink: Dodge advertised it as "American's Fine Economy Car". It "only" has a 119" wheel base :shock: ds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
700lb front bumper! :lol:

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:32 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
Charlie, I can't thank you enough for your post. I plumbed the carb adapter this morning, took it on a long drive and it stayed running when I came to a stop!! It never would stay running on this same trip prior to heating the carb adapter. THANK YOU!!! :bow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:27 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Inspiration (?): http://www.projectplato.com/cars/bigredhome.html

Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:05 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Charlie, I can't thank you enough for your post. I plumbed the carb adapter this morning, took it on a long drive and it stayed running when I came to a stop!! It never would stay running on this same trip prior to heating the carb adapter. THANK YOU!!! :bow:
I got lucky on mine and could see what was happening. My carb mount/adapter was just a peice of about 3 inch dia round steel tube with the top cut open and a plate welded on the top. When it was idling, the outside bottom of the tube would get ice on it. The fuel would not vaporize properly, and would puddle in the tube, and be a little lean. Then the engine would get "slug" of fuel through the turbo and would vaporize in the turbo, making the engine go very rich. Then the cycle would begin again. The engine sounded like a engine with a roots blower, with the up and down idle. I just took some copper plumbing tubing and epoxied it to the bottom of the carb mount and ran hot water through it, to keep the fuel vaporized at low rpm. At higher RPM there is enough velocity to keep the fuel flowing with the air, with out slugging. This is not an issue with blow through.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:08 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Here's a few pics of the updated setup: