Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Forgot to take pics...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:06 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
On my power steering bracket there's a bar that bolts on with two bolts, a hole at each end. I think it uses one of the water pump bolts and a bolt on the power steering bracket (to stabilize the power steering setup/hold it more firmly). BUT, I forgot where it goes...anyone have a '67 set up like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:06 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I think you may be referring to the AC bracket. The power steering bracket kind of clam shells together. There is 2 c shaped brackets that interweave then there is a a set of bolts front and back that are adjustable and one long one that fits through the outside edge.

On the AC bracket there is a bracket that has 2 bolts that go into the 2 and 3 bolt holes from the head. Then there is a large tubular bracket that mounts to the back of the pump and down to the motor mount.

Some pictures would confirm this but your description sounds off.

1964 Valiant 4 Door
1965 Plymouth Barracuda
1967 Chevy Camaro

Post subject: bracket...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:16 pm 
Turbo EFI

No this is an additional strut, just a straight bar with holes at each end that is an extra support for the power steering bracket. The bar is approximately 5 inches in length, say 3/4 inch wide, about 1/8 inch thick plate. The holes are near the ends, and I think it was bolted, one to the water pump and the other in the main (long) bolt that goes through the main power steering pump bracket (the swivel bolt). I don't think it maintains the power steering bracket distance (belt tension), but rather it stabilizes the whole assembly in the front. As the back of the bracket is braced firmly by the block, the front needs this extra strut. My power steering bracket was cracked, I rewelded it. I think this strut helps to maintain the front portion of the bracket firmly in place, the cracked bracket is likely why they used this strut in the first place.

I didn't take pics, but I bagged every components' hardware as I dissassembled, and this bar definitely goes on the power steering bracket, I'm just not sure which way, it appears to fit a couple ways, but my description above is the most obvious.

bg

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

I don't have AC...live in the SF bay area, luckily I don't need it.

Post subject: another note....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:27 pm 
Turbo EFI

My power steering bracket doesn't have two C-shapes that clamshell together. Must have been in '67 they still used the one C-shaped bracket, like in your pic, plus this strut in the front. I'm sure they probably used different configurations depending on the year, country, etc.

It's funny, my friend at work has an early '70's alfa romeo, and he looked under my hood and said, "wow, you have power steering!?" Chrysler was way far ahead of so many in the '60's, with unibody, options etc. (we won't mention the power distribution scheme though...).

Post subject: Re: another note....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:31 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Quote:
(we won't mention the power distribution scheme though...).
Why not?

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:04 pm 
Turbo EFI

Running all the power through the amp gauge in the dash is an antiquated way to do it... see http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... uges.shtml