Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: carbs...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:01 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Almost forgot, the K&N air cleaner assemblies for these carbs didn't exactly fit. The holes were exactly the correct shape for the carbs, but I had to shave about 1 mm off the I.D. of the bottom plate so they'd seat on the rubber gaskets correctly.

They are: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=56-9017

You can get various heights of the air filter elements that will fit this assembly, in case you have some hood clearance issues. K&N's website lets you pick by diameter and height of filter element.

BG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:31 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I had one of those K&N air filters on a 72 Pinto I used to own. It had melted either from a backfire or the heat. I am not a big fan of K&N products but I know the options are limited when you go to the Weber carbs. I recommend getting the air cleaners off of a Weber equipped Mustang, but I don't think those would fit on a dual carb application.

Post subject: K&N
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:50 am 
Turbo EFI

These are stainless, so I doubt they'd melt.

Hey, my first car was a Mercury Bobcat (a pinto for all intents and purposes). I took the four banger out and dropped a 302 4bbl, with dual exhaust in it. It was a screamer. The only thing I had to change was the motor mounts and make cuts for the larger radiator (hood pins), everything else bolted right up (must share the dimensions with the Mustang II's or something).

Post subject: K&N
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Those K&N's are pricey though, don't buy them from the K&N site, you can find them way cheaper on the open market. They are solid, but the finish and workmanship...well, as I said, the first thing I had to do was take material off the aperture so it would actually fit the carb for which it was "designed" to fit.

I like the Webers because they have a small 32 mm primary and then a 34 mm secondary. I get 20 mpg average. If I drive like grandma I get almost 22 mpg, if I'm a lead foot that day, it drops to 19 mpg. But they are very easy to tune and once tuned, there's nothing to do, they stay in tune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
That's a really neat looking setup. I'm slowly working away on something similar using progressive Webers. I wish I just picked up a pair of the carbs your running,I bought a pair of rebuilt DGEV progressive carbs from a carb guy here in Australia....you guessed it,they certainly were a little more pricey than $90 each! That's a fantastic buy you found.by the way,what cam are you running,Im guessing you run a stock converter? There was a rather lengthy post here a while back about k+n filters. My personal experience has been very positive,I have only used filter elements,not their housings,but I think they are an excellent filter. So does the the FAA by the way,KN filters have approval for use many light aircraft. Enjoy your new ride!