Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 1963 Dart GT
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:51 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I just picked up this roller, pushbutton car, MANUAL everything. gonna sells of my feather duster and 72 /6 duster and keep my 65 dart and this 63. ( can't help love those 62-5 A and B cars!),, the 65 is /6 but tryin to decide what to do WITH THE 63. ( yes i know this is /6 site! LOL)
I know some one the inherient problems with puttin in a V 8. as always this will be budget plan, just fun driver, don't want to hack up any more than i will do replacing floor pans with MY metal,,, not repo stuff! it lacks the rod style throttle linkage, I do have all the dickdown stuff for it, has park cable but someone CUT the other cable!
I search this site and FABO, get some good info, have to try to weed out incorrect stuff!, seems a B motor will go in without firewall problem, cast exh manifolds will work, C body combo of C and B, not sure yet.?? also told 727 will go if only trim the floor pinch weld? but then lacking the shift cable would have to find used one ,,,, for 727B,,,, and 727B cable TRANNY!, love four speeds and have changed over several, but not in 10-12 years, so price and availabity problems. easier to put in s b but never been than excited about them. but then there would be the firewall dist problem there too! LOL
I know put a slant is and quit beatin a dead horse!?? LOL any input would be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:19 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
A low deck B engine with cast manifolds just might fit, but it'll be lots heavier than the/6. The torsion bars were just barely adequate to begin with, as were the brakes.
I like plenty of GO power, but the ability to STOP is essential (for me at least)!

For all my car crazy years I've always heard that: "speed costs money - how fast do ya wanna go?"

I have a 318 in my 64ragtop and a /6 in my '64 coupe. The teen is PLENTY fast for me and the slant with Dutra dual duals 2.25" exhaust, a small 4-barrel carb
& a 3.23 rear gear is really all I need around town.

For my '63 coupe, I found a hot rod windshield wiper rig that uses a cable and mounts the motor to the side. No more firewall bubble needed.

BC

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
thanks for the reply. i have /6 65 dart i've been bringing back from the deceased. i know what you mean. i'm not a racer, just like tp drive big block car some. over the y ears i have had everything from 318 barracuda conv, max wedge, bunches of 383 runers, 1 lift off hood car, TA's and AAR's. never got into racing though. the 63 is low buck don't have bunches of $$ to spend!!! have to buy groceries!!!! i really don't want to change forewall but have read on the sites that a small block can be shimmed to raise it a little to ellinate wiper hump dist problem ( less i see it, who knows!!) another guy says B motor obviously won't have dist problem but it has to be longer block, i will contact Schumaker to get their input, i'm sure they know, but really don't want to spend $200 on their mounts either, i could make mine if new the dimensions, but then ya got to find decent engine, a rebuild is not in the plan, just a good used engine, 400 would even work fine. thanks again for the reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:59 am 
Guru

Car Model:
If you really want a big block A-body, you would do much better starting with a 67 and up A-body chassis...
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:17 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Worst part about a big block in an early A is there is no really good way to put exhaust on one. No decent manifolds fit and headers are really big $$$.

727 hits n the trans tunnel too, but you just need to beat down a lip joint.

This is not a low dough deal. :shock:

Post subject: 63 dart
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:36 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
when i say "low dough deal" i guess better word is " be frugile parts hunter, always figure it costs more than hoped, etc"! i bought it cause i like the goofy body style, i know better choice for BB would be early B body, but even in the down economy and car market, they would have cost twice as much unless i got lucky. your right, 67 up A much better for BB, had orig 67 383 cuda once with oversize front sway bar, actually handled great. but anyway, i disgress......
been searching here and FABO and trying to organize my info, i can always do the /6 thing and be happy too.
wondering: if i remember early B bodies and maybe A's, the k member actually sits further forward THAN the later cars. wonder how it would handle with B motor?
i look at Schumakers site. i know 63-6 k member is for both /6 and 273, soooo why does he offer his $150 mounts for the 273-318???? so called sway??? i guess if noone can find the originals????
he has mounts for 383 for this application, but do they get engine away from firewall? had member on FABO says 383 goes in , but no other real info. i need to talk to someone that has done the 383 swap for that will share details
on s b swap, they say 273 318 stock exh man work, but we all know how bad they reduce things. not lookin for race car, just neat cruiser. don't want to spend big bucks for under chassis headers, or butcher fenders either.
i have goood 76 feather duster and 72 /6 duster i will advertise this spring, i want to keep just my early cars, might just wind up puttin slant back in this ( got siper six that need home too).
sure i can find afforable early B project sooner or later by dumb luck and trippin over my feet if i sell the other cars,, LOL
i do enjoy learin things i didn;t know and refreshin my memory on what i forget.