Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Leaky!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:21 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
How do I stop my oil pan from leaking? :evil:

I got my engine rebuild done back in September of last year. Ever since, there's been a slow drip from the (if you're looking at the engine from above) from the lower left corner of the oil pan where it meets the timing cover.

Pretty much paid no mind to it until recently when I realized that over the course of some months nearly an entire quart of oil had managed to leak out from mostly, that corner.

I sealed the pan well when putting it all back together, then I was forced to break that seal when I had to pull the timing cover off to re-set the harmonic damper on the end of the crank with the engine in the car. It was tough getting the pan and cover to go back together with the cork and rubber gaskets in place correctly. When I finally did, it leaked worse than now. So the only thing I was able to do was to dry the gasket as best I could and spread some black silicone RTV on the outside seam. Hate it, but what else could I do?

The leak slowed but clearly it's still there. Running synthetic right now and don't like losing expensive oil to a leak like this.

Any solutions I may not have thought of, short of pulling the engine and turning it over to re-seal the pan again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
i had the same thing almost to the t with my engine. had it out a while ago to put some new rings in got it all back together and sealed tight. forgot to put the f'n oil slinger on the crank so had to pull the timing cover. of course it leaked when i got it back in and running. didnt mind for a while. was going to the track and didnt want to be flagged for some oil so i had to find the leak. tried brake clean and slathering one some rtv around the pan to timing cover. didnt do it. finally found it. there is a locating pin on the front of the motor for the timing cover. it was leaking out of that. little more brake clean and some more rtv and at last no leak. may not be the case with your motor but i would definitely look into it if you had the timing cover off without pulling the pan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
if it stop raining before the sun goes down ill try and get a pic of the pin im talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:04 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks, don't bother. I know the pin you're talking about.

I'm saying from what I can see it's actually seeping out through that corner. I'll double check to make sure it's not that pin, which I had to drill out in order to get the cover back on and mated well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:08 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
i thought it was coming out of the corner too. that is where it wound up dripping from so i assumed it was the gasket on the corner.