Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 616 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:04 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he is in Mass.

I will invite him down to Mason Dixon
He could tag along with The Heath's

And then do a cool write up about your project and our racing for his Customers :D :D

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Updated the list

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:41 pm 

I have been asked several times about sending money and when this is going to happen.

Let me say again; Do not send any money until I contact you. I will not even get the manifolds into the hand of the pattern makers until summer (June/July). Then a single set will be cast, machined, and then checked and then test run. Then I will begin to fill your orders. This may be late Fall or winter and maybe even later if it needs to be. I am not rushing this and want to be sure that they are right before I begin selling them. It appears that there are plenty of people interested, so hang in there. :lol: :lol:

Rick

Rick Covalt
Ryan Covalt
Lou Madsen------2 sets
Brian Mimken
Ron Hamby
Bill Barbee
Rob Armstrong
Don Hudson
Brian Griedel
Al Cardenas ------2 sets
Leighton Drake---2 sets
Mark Goodman
Steve Magnante
Ned Branson
Mark Merritt
Frank Femling
Fanie Gerber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:55 pm 

Well, I pulled my car out of the garage to do a metering rod changes and after it warmed up I noticed a antifreeze leak under the manifolds. So I pulled the intake off and removed the lower row of studs and retaped/ sealed them. While it was off I did a test fit of a factory 1 barrel intake and also the Clifford 3 X 2 Weber set up. The 1 barrel ( and I would say 2 barrel also) fit just fine. The Weber setup will never work as the runners spread to wide and hit the exhaust manifold everywhere. this one is not even close.

Just one more picture of the manifolds.
Closest point is at #5 exhaust runner but there is still some wiggle room

If I can get someone to give me a hand I will try and lay Dan's manifold over top of the Hyperpak so that we can see how the manifolds differ, before I reassmble everything.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:24 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Quote:
Just one more picture of the manifolds.

Rick
This is off topic, but that picture just makes me drool. Awesome. You are a lucky guy to have those manifolds.

Post subject: offy manifold
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:11 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Did you check, do you need to check, if offy manifold fits?

brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:16 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
e and also the Clifford 3 X 2 Weber set up. The 1 barrel ( and I would say 2 barrel also) fit just fine. The Weber setup will never work as the runners spread to wide and hit the exhaust manifold everywhere. this one is not even close.

Rick
I have an Aussie triple Weber manifold; I suspect the Clifford might be a copy of the Aussie so I'm guessing mine wouldn't fit. If the stock one and two barrel fits, I'm guessing that the Offy twin single will.

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:06 am 

Yes I need to check an Offy and the 2 X 1 barrel intakes. I don't have either one right now. I think Lou may have both for me to check. I can't remember.

Rick

Post subject: Offy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:57 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Thanks in advance for checking on that Rick.

I'm pretty sure it'll fit, the runners are evenly distributed and appear to be close to factory height/width.

brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:17 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I'm hoping the 2x1 intake works! That's what I'm planning on running with my 170ci build!

So excited about these manifolds! I can hardly wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:27 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I'll be shocked if the Offy 2×1 doesn't fit with the Hyper Pak exhausts, but I wouldn't want to run that 2×1 intake, no matter what carbs, without good manifold heat (i.e., Dutra Duals instead of Hyper Paks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:19 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I have both Offy 4bbl and 2X1 manifolds if you want to borrow and try them, Rick.

Regarding heat with the 2X1, I can say that mine worked well with a 6X1 header at low temps. Better throttle response than a single 1 bbl and started up and idled when cold after a short throttle hold. Never even ran a choke on them. I did run them with a stock exh man on my 65 winter beater Dart in the early 90s and I remember easily starting the car at -30F in Northfield, MN (and many other times at -20F in WI and MN) when my house host's brand new Buick wouldn't start. No choke on that setup either. YMMV.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:05 pm 

Quote:
I have both Offy 4bbl and 2X1 manifolds if you want to borrow and try them, Rick.
Yes please bring them to Mason Dixon if you can.

Clifford 4 barrel update. Just wanted to show everyone what I find as we go. Clifford 4 barrel must have larger runners than the 1 & 2 barrel and when I pulled the intake to repair the leaking studs I found that it was just barely kissing the number 4 exhaust runner. I so gently ground some off the the manifold and then hit the intake as well. that gave me ample room.

Hitting at the red arrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:22 pm 

Lou Madsen brought me an Offy 4 barrel and a 2 X 1 barrel intakes to try with the manifolds.

We also did a little "research" at the track this weekend and the outcome was good, if not very good performance wise.

I went back and looked at the race times from last Oct. when we raced. And then my car was running 15.40"s all weekend. This weekend I ran made 6 runs and they were: 15.74, 15.65, 15.63, 15.57, 15.48. 15.46 all in pretty bad weather. So all in all, throwing out the 15.7 run which was in near "rain" conditions. the Hyperpaks ran within a tenth or 2 of the long tube Cliffords headers. And I am not at all sure that they did not run equal to them!

Just for reference, my car is as follow:

65 Valiant 2800# with me in it.
225, with 473 lift Howards cam, engine builder valves, 9.0 CR
904 with a shift kit and 3.91 rear gears.
Car was shifted at 5200 RPM, exactly the same as last Fall
Hyperpaks have 2" head pipes dumping into a flowmaster Y pipe that has a 3" outlet. From that Y pipe I have approx. 16" of 2 1/2" outlet piping.
I made absolutely no changes to the car from last year except for the Hyperpak exhaust. So this is as close as you are going to get to back to back tests.

The only variable is the weather.

Hope that is information that helps someone.
:lol: :lol:

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:11 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Any footage or sound bites of the car with the hyper exhaust manifolds? would like to hear it. I'm getting closer to placing an order!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 616 Next