Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 819 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:31 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
The head had the guides checked and new Enginebuilder valves installed with new seals during the build. Plus it does not smoke on start up.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:54 pm 

I did a compresssion check on the engine after it was completely warming up, and I had the following readings ---170,172,175,175,173,175. So the compression is nice and even across all 6 cylinders.

Just thinking out loud. But I find it hard to believe that something happened to the oil rings just setting in the garage for 8 months. Although I guess it is possible? Here is my question: Since I installed a new Dutra modified oil pump and it has about 15-18# more oil pressure, could it be squirting more oil onto the cylinder walls and overwhelming the oil rings? I can pull out the washers under the oil pump spring and lower the pressure a few pounds and I could maybe try a little lighter oil than the 10/30 I have always run.

Any brainstorms you may have are greatly appreciated.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:22 pm 

No thoughts on my above rambling?

Just brought the truck home form the alignment shop in the rain tonight and it drives nice and straight and stops nicely as well. The wiper mods I did work great and they don't make any noise at all.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I like your ideas Drop down to 5 or even 0W-30 and unshim the oil pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:56 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I agree, start with 5w30 and remove some or all of the shims.

Sounds great on the suspension and wiper work - congrats!

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:10 pm 

I removed the washers under the spring in the oil pump and the oil pressure dropped from 58 to 48# off idle and about 30-32# idling in gear. I will change the oil and add some fresh gas tomorrow and see what happens after all this rain is done! :lol:

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:17 pm 

I forgot to mention that I found a NOS genuine "Mopar" aluminum grill surround. I believe these are over $700 from Chrysler and the Chinese ones are not available any more. So I saw this one on E-Bay for $350 and with a best offer. So I offered $250 and I got it, with free shipping. So once the truck is painted it will get a new surround and grill insert.
Glad I got it!

Rick :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:33 am 

I am getting closer to seeing some new paint on the truck. I spoke to Robbie (Paint shop) and he said to drop it off Monday and he will work on the final alignment of some of the body panels in between jobs next week. Then once he is ready to start blocking / sanding the car he will give me a call and I will take off a couple days work to give him a hand with the manual labor.

Also got the all the lights working, after hooking up the wires on the new light sockets correctly! :wink:

Once it is painted the only thing I need to do get is get the 8 3/4 rear installed and get new drive shaft cut. Then it is off for an "enhanced" vehicle inspection. This is PA's way of checking out a vehicle that has been totaled and is being put back on the road.

Rick

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:03 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Rick, what style of oil ring are you using? Did you check the tension on the bracelet part of the ring before you installed them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:14 am 

This was a stock bottom end as far as I know. It ran only 3 weeks before the truck was wrecked. Then it was sitting for many months while I restored it. I would guess cast iron rings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:42 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Oh, I was thinking it was a fresh build, like right now. The tension on the oil ring bracelets are often overlooked, and can cause oiling problems if they don't have enough in them. Just didn't know if you check this when you assemble one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:17 pm 

Anyone who has ordered the "new" chrome windshield lock strip knows that most of them turn yellow really quickly if they are left out in the sun. This was re-confirmed to me when I talked to the windshield guy, and he warned me that all the new ones turn yellow. So, since I will get new windshield when the truck is painted, I decided to check with Ma Mopar. And guess what! After the parts guy quit laughing at me for even asking about a 30 year old part, he said; "Well yes they are, and they are even at our local warehouse" He took my money and I had one the next morning.
Just in case someone else would like to get one, here is the specifics. Part # 04467329 Retainer - Windshield Glass. (Chrome) Cost was $71, which is about double the cheap Chinese stuff, but it should last you 20 years instead of 2. National warehouse showed 41 of them in stock and they are selling 3 per week.

Rick

Post subject: 8 3/4 vs 8 1/4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:27 pm 

I pulled the back off the 8 1/4" truck rear that is laying in my driveway to rob the backing plates for the 8 3/4" rear that is going in my truck once it returns from the body shop. I was a little surprised at the difference in size. Which one do you think is stronger?? :lol: :lol:

Also here is the picture of my re-routed exhaust from the header back to the cat. I brought it back to the end of the transmission and then crossed over. Plus I had them put a flange at each end so I can easily drop out that section to do easier repairs.

Low oil pressure switch plumbed in. I have an oil pressure gauge and no "idiot" light. I am the idiot!

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:05 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Sweet! :D

Post subject: Let the painting begin.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 am 

Truck started with 2 bare fenders.

Then had all the glass removed and the stripes removed

Bed came off

And after some thought Robbie said lets just strip it to bare metal and do it right.

Bed was scuffed and prepped for a good coat of bed liner

Then it all got cleaned, prepped and taped up for primer.

So that is where is sets now except for the bed liner is in and the bed is primed. We ran up against the Holidays and PA hunting season so the truck will set and "cure" for about a week and then it will get some nice shiny paint put on.

Rick

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 819 Next