Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Lean Burn Carb Question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:15 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I've been reading this site for about a week and I think i've got just about everything figured out except the carb.

Quick back story is I bought an 86 Ram slant 6 from a guy who swapped the carb because it wouldn't start. He told me it jumped time. I've confirmed its timing is spot on. It's getting fuel and seems to be getting spark but won't start. My concern is I can't find a definitive picture of what the carburetor should look like. Here's what they put on it:

Is this carb correct? I don't see anything electrical for the computer to control. The computer and dual pick up distributor is there. Is this carb going to work for me to remove the lean burn and do the conversion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:31 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Best I can say is maybe. That looks like a non-computer controlled Carter BBD for a 318. At a minimum you should uncap the bowl vent valve and cap or correctly hook up the port for the heated air intake system. You will need to either swap on the choke linkage for a slant six BBD or make the adapter piece described HERE.

It is unfortunate that it is a remanufactured carburetor. This may mean that the internal settings are all wrong and the protective coatings have been stripped form all the parts. Or it may not. You will need to open it up and investigate.

This carb might work for you, but you will need to put in some effort to verify it is set up properly and do some minor fabrication to make it work with the factory automatic choke thermostat.

Post subject: Yep...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:31 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Is this carb going to work for me to remove the lean burn and do the conversion?
That looks like non lean burn carb...so next you need to do the EI retrofit to get it to run right... and make sure the correct port on the carb is connected to the vacuum advance pod on the distributor..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
That is not a Lean Burn carb. It is also not a Slant-6 carb. It's a Carter BBD for '74-'83 318 V8 engine, rebuilt by this outfit. Donno how good or bad their work is, but they certainly put a lot of effort into making the carb's bowl body and throttle body all shiny (polished) and recoating the air horn/top casting against corrosion. Other exterior detail work looks nice, and it's not one of the godawful Chinese knockoffs that are all over the place, so it stands a decent chance of at least working OK, but with that V8 choke lever the Slant-6 choke pushrod isn't going to hook up...which, yeah, is going to make it hard to start. So will the vacuum leaks created by the various hose nipples left open to the air. And that crude blockoff of the bowl vent tube (short piece of red hose with bolt hoseclamped in) isn't making anything better, either; that tube needs connected to the charcoal can's "BOWL" or "VENT" nipple. If we're using that rebuilder's numbers, the carb you need is an ND-2559 or ND-2560 (you'd have to get with the builder to see what differences they build into those two, because their groupings are a lot more consolidated than original factory carbs were).

Does this truck still have its catalytic converter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:57 pm 
Supercharged

Heh. Looking at the time stamp and the content of those last three posts make me think that great minds think alike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:45 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Indeed! I'm also encouraged by what I see on that company's website as far as their process:

"Each carburetor is individually built by our certified technicians using a master rebuilding kit. All other components are cleaned, tested or rebuilt to meet O.E.M Specifications. The base plates are rebushed to remove excess wear from around the throttle shaft to stop certain vacuum leaks. All bolts and linkage parts are zinc plated. As well as casings are tumbled to chrome like finish. Or by special request, Dichromate finish can be applied. Every carburetor goes through a 3 step testing process, first a float bench and pump test, second a Dyno flow bench test, and then a live engine test. We only use top quality parts in our rebuilding process."

Even if only (say) 1/3 of that were true, it would still put their product streets ahead of the garbage that comes out of "reman" factories like A1 Cardone.

I may send them a carb and see what comes back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:14 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
Let us know how it goes. I have a pile of BBDs and 2280s that need work. If that place is reputable, I might send some business their way.

Hot dang! They are running a sale right now- $149 for a lifetime warranted rebuilt BBD specifically for a slant six!

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/look ... num=nd2558

That's smoking hot deal if the quality is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:54 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks for the replies. That company is about 5 miles from my work and as of a few years ago was started and owned by a friend of my Dads. Not sure if Eddie still owns it or not. Each rebuild is bolted to a test engine and run to test. (not sure how a small straight 6 or v-8 test engine works for that but its alledgedly how its done).
I know its a mess and I know some vacuum ports need to be plugged. Yes the cat is still attached but the air pipe leading to the resonator or cat just below the exh manifold flange is "smashed" shut. At this point i'll be happy to hear it burning gas. If hard cold starts is going to be my biggest issue with the choke then I may be able to live with it living in Florida. It has vacuum trees and ported vacuum switches just plugged off. It was a $400 truck so I can afford to spend a little time and money to get it running. I have a running 67 Valiant parts car, would anything from it be of benefit for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:57 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Let us know how it goes. I have a pile of BBDs and 2280s that need work. If that place is reputable, I might send some business their way.

Hot dang! They are running a sale right now- $149 for a lifetime warranted rebuilt BBD specifically for a slant six!

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/look ... num=nd2558

That's smoking hot deal if the quality is good.
Maybe for the $189 including core I may be better off starting with a correct pre lean burn carb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:27 pm 
Supercharged

You should be able to use the carb you have now. It just need a few very simple and cheap things done to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:58 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
You should be able to use the carb you have now. It just need a few very simple and cheap things done to it.
I just read the article you posted about the choke adapter plate. Seems pretty straightforward. Gonna head to the jy tomorrow and see if I can score a distributor. Anything single pick up electronic is what I need correct?

And a few V-8 Mopars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:02 pm 
Supercharged

If you can find one form a late 70s truck or van you will be a bit better off. While you have it out, be sure to verify the operation of the vacuum advance mechanism and the mechanical advance mechanisms. Maybe disassemble it and lube everything a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:20 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
If you can find one form a late 70s truck or van you will be a bit better off. While you have it out, be sure to verify the operation of the vacuum advance mechanism and the mechanical advance mechanisms. Maybe disassemble it and lube everything a bit.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for all your help.

And a few V-8 Mopars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:52 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I can tell you that my dad had a D150 with the lean bum slant six, but with an earlier Holley 1945 not designed for a lean bum application. It ran OK.

But when I performed a lean burn exorcism and added a GM HEI conversion, it ran beautifully. Interstate driving was no problem and returned mpg in the high teens. So I think the carb you have will work well with the aforementioned choke mods. I would also address the catalytic converter situation - have it flow tested at a shop; I bet it shows signs of being plugged. That alone can make them run horribly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:37 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
I can tell you that my dad had a D150 with the lean bum slant six, but with an earlier Holley 1945 not designed for a lean bum application. It ran OK.

But when I performed a lean burn exorcism and added a GM HEI conversion, it ran beautifully. Interstate driving was no problem and returned mpg in the high teens. So I think the carb you have will work well with the aforementioned choke mods. I would also address the catalytic converter situation - have it flow tested at a shop; I bet it shows signs of being plugged. That alone can make them run horribly.
The exorcism is the next to do. Once its running I can start diagnostics and right other wrongs. It needs a new exhaust anyway as the muffler is missing completely for some reason.

And a few V-8 Mopars