Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
NOT SO FAST!!!

WOOHOO! Decided to grab the end of the bolt that was sticking through with vice grips and keep heating and soaking with blaster/blu torch.

Eventually -- MOVEMENT! Was a pain in the doopah but they both eventually came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:17 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Cut the bolts, drill them out and use long bolts as replacements. Don't bother to tap the exhaust manifold. Use a low strength bolts. If you ever take it apart again, you can just break the bolts if they are corroded. Makes disassembly a breeze.
Now that I have the bolts out and the original threads are still in tact, would it be a fools errand to drill out the threads and use the low strength bolts at this point?

I question why they even threaded the exhaust manifold AND used nuts on the end??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Now that I have the bolts out and the original threads are still in tact, would it be a fools errand to drill out the threads and use the low strength bolts at this point?
Yes. Use appropriate (high-strength) bolts that will withstand the thermal cycling, with anti-seize compound on the threads and brass nuts as needed. Disassembly in the (hopefully distant) future will be a cinch.
Quote:
I question why they even threaded the exhaust manifold AND used nuts on the end??
The nuts were used to space the throttle/kickdown bracket appropriately from the manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:54 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Use appropriate (high-strength) bolts that will withstand the thermal cycling.
Quote:
The nuts were used to space the throttle/kickdown bracket appropriately from the manifold.
\
Ok so like a grade 8 then?

Hoping these are common size/length bolts available at the hardware store!

I am doing a dry run of the "new" to us 2 bbl manifold and the original exhaust manifold......and thinking (overthinking?)....

We want to paint the exhaust and intake but I know that once the two are mated they should be surfaced together right? And not diassembled after that, correct?

I hate to paint these and then have a shop manhandle to surface then and mess up the paint....but if we have them surfaced together and then we pull apart to paint them, we may have a bugger of a time re-mating them.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Anyone know the size and length these bolts bolts need to be?

I meant to measure them so I can stop after work today and guess what I forgot to do...LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:02 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
SO the bolts are 3.5" long 5/16"- 18 bolts. Someone in another thread said they are 4" long...but my originals are 3.5". (1980 slant 6)

Cant locate any grade 5 or 8 bolts with enough thread so far...found a 4" long bolt that works, but not sure the basic steel will be tough enough?

I assume trying to use a die and cut the threads longer on a grade 8 would be not very doable by hand....

SO I just ordered 5/16"18 grade 5 yellow zinc plated 3.5" bolts and nuts and washers from fastenall.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:16 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I would use grade-8, but grade-5 is probably good enough. I don't recall having much trouble getting them, but the last time I needed to was quite a few years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:11 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
I would use grade-8, but grade-5 is probably good enough. I don't recall having much trouble getting them, but the last time I needed to was quite a few years ago.
Its the ALL THREAD that is the problem. But my local fastenall can get them for me.....hopefully will have them thursday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:08 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
If anyone cares, here's my cobbled together linkage I shot for u/gdizzle:

Greg loves his daily driver.
1973 Swinger 225 /6 Seats 6