Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Looking good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:41 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quick update!
I got the truck door re-covered with a help of a buddy. 40 year old carpet that was glued and stapled to plywood was hard to get off!
Here is the new carpet pieces in action:

Then I got the back piece of carpet in:

The last thing I got done was repairing a vinyl side panel, this is the only "before" picture I have:
The broken part of the panel is on the bottom. The vinyl was warped and torn, and the press-board was broken.

With a heat gun I relaxed the vinyl and pulled it back, cut a cleaner edge of the pressboard, and glued a new piece of wood to it.

I glued a new piece of vinyl behind it, and then trimmed any jagged bits of old vinyl. Now its being glued back together!

More pictures tomorrow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:23 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Updates!
Here is my repaired ?sail/passenger? panel. I think it came out ok, I wish I had added padding to make the vinyl stick out a bit more.

Then I got the carpet installed in the front
With dimmer grommet

Installed the back seat!

I installed a the seat belts and the front seats!
Im not super happy with the belts, I wish the female clip was a bit shorter, so its more on my side than near my belt buckle.

So the interior is done (for now). I will take some non-cellphone pictures in a day or two. I am pretty happy with it. I already ordered color matched floor mats as well, and I think I'll order more doorsill plates as well.

I also found this little gem when I removed the old carpet, thought you guys would like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:58 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I haven't posted an update since I finished the interior, so here I go. The interior is looking good, and I ordered some color-matched floor mats to protect my new carpet. On christmas eve I brought it to a guy to have it buffed and waxed, and I am extremely happy with the results. He found shine under that paint that I didn't know what there!

Now that that project is mostly done, started trying to hunt down some of my leaks! I thought I had some issues with my transmission linkages, but now I think it is just losing fluid. I realized it was about 2 quarts low. After filling it up it was shifting great, but now leaking a lot. I got under the car and an it looks like it has been leaking from some of the connectors on the driver side (this is an A904).

I don't think the pan is leaking. I have read that this is a common leak, so I will probably clean the area an try to narrow it down in the next few weeks. Until then I'll be topping it off before any drives.

I also have a small oil leak still. When I bought the car I replaced the oil sender sensor which was the major leak, but now it looks like I am losing some oil through the oil pump cover. Is this common? should I just replace the cover O-ring/seal, or all the seals? The pump?

I also received the chrome trim for the 3/4 vinyl top, as well as ordered new clips. I was only able to spend a few minutes trying to mount the trim, but the clips did not want to cooperate. Does anyone know of any tips or tricks to get these on there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quick update!

So it has been a few weeks, and I have been really busy with non-duster stuff. My current daily driver, 96 4runner, has been down with fatal transmission issues. So I will likely sell it as is or hunt down a new transmission, Such is life. While I was dealing the transmission shop I mentioned my duster's transmission leak at the seals and a little around the pan. They quoted me $100, so I had them do it. Now I have no transmission leaks! It's shifting great.

I have also had a fairly strong leak on my oil pump cover. This last weekend I attacked that as well. I wish I had just pulled the whole pump, as replacing the seal while it was still attached was a bear. I did finally get done though, and now I see no oil leaks either!

I'm a new member of the clean driveway club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:48 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Another quick update:

I was busy replacing the transmission on the 4runner (success) and then had some travel for work. But I'm back now and should be able to work on it a bit this summer.

The only improvements I have done is install the chrome trim for he vinyl top, replace the breather on the valve cover, and install a small tach inside the engine bay to help with timing/tuning.

The headliner I used has turned into a bust. Its drooping very badly now. I don't really have a solution right now. I think I will need to pull the front bench, remove the trim pieces, pull the headliner. I am debating taking the fabric off the ABS, then stripping it and painting it, or maybe add a textured contact paper to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:22 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Another update!

After a long and hot summer I can work on the duster again. A few setbacks though: the new package tray piece I created has faded to almost white. This was supposed to be automotive grade carpet from RockAuto, but I guess it is junk. I think if I have a reason to get back there I will replace it with painted MDF or vinyl. A bit of a bummer because it really looked good when I was done. The headliner has completely collapsed. if it is warm out I can just kinda push it back up and it will stick for an hour or two. So I will need to take car of that.

This weekend I was able to check the valve lash. I did it with the engine running, basically following SSDs how to. I also changed the plugs. Turns out the PO had installed NKG UR5 type that is meant for the newer heads. I was installing NGK ZFR5N. They were a bit of a pita as I think threads had been exposed to combustion for a few years. Lots of anti-seize was used. I also got a round to an oil change. I am still dripping oil or ATF, need to investigate. I think my main objects for this winter are:

Fix gas gauge - think the level sensor is bad or the float is fuel-logged. I may get the tank acid boiled and painted if I take the time to drop it.
Fix odometer - with the gas gauge not working going below half a tank makes me a bit nervous.
Fix radiator - looks like I have a small leak towards the top of the radiator - any experience getting this repaired?
Rebuild front suspension - most bushings need replacement - shocks too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
It has been a while!

Does anyone recommend a decent (not too expense) paint shop in the Tucson area? I am not looking for a frame-off paint job, but more of a respray.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:36 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I like where you are headed! That is really a unique car and I love what you did with the interior.