Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Wich is the best carb for a mildly enhanced /6?
holley 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
carter 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 9
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:40 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Hey Guys.

Just about to go to another carb setup (I have a 1 bbl, highly modified but still 1 bbl) I was wondering why somebody loves carter and hates holleys, and all the posibilities of variations upon that.

I'd love to hear opinions on what brand should I pick and why.

Take care, be cool. Juan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:08 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
Pick what you like and works best for you.

D/W

P. S. - There's lots of more exotic stuff out there besides Carter and Holley, not to mention fuel injection...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Like Dennis said choose what you're most familiar with, or some people choose what they can get parts for in their area. The only reason I'm running a Holley is because I had a bucket full of 4 barrels and 90% of the parts interchange so I had lots of 'spares' to work with. I also do like Carter's 2 barrels they work ok also and are easy to rebuild...

just do some research on what's easy to order/ get over the counter in your city and that might help you determine whether you'll be Carter/Holley/Rochester...or be stuck with Weber/Mikuni/etc...

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:16 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
i've got six carters all torn apart and one holley not torn apart but from what i've been told it's a trade off the carter gives you a little more horse power but the holley gets a little better fuel milage but most people i know have only used the carter so i will use one of the ones i got or peice one together out of all of them the carter does have a warpage issue to them

1998 Dakota

Post subject: Other way around!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:37 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
:lol:

The holley gets poor gas mileage (Dennis would read..rich + air leak = bad mileage...right Dennis?LOL)... The carter usually gets better gas mileage to the comparable Holley model... the 'power gain' for the Holley comes from a 'richer' mixture during the power curve (good for draggin', bad for mileage...). As always you can tune either to make up for the 'problem'...if it is a problem...

-D.Idiot

Post subject: Re: Other way around!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:23 am 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
:lol:

The holley gets poor gas mileage (Dennis would read..rich + air leak = bad mileage...right Dennis?LOL)... The carter usually gets better gas mileage to the comparable Holley model... the 'power gain' for the Holley comes from a 'richer' mixture during the power curve (good for draggin', bad for mileage...). As always you can tune either to make up for the 'problem'...if it is a problem...

-D.Idiot
I concur... 8)

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:30 am 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
...the carter does have a warpage issue to them
Really? What's the issue? Seems I've overheard a few people accusing Carters of this before, but in all my messing with AFB/AVS's (and we're talking a BUNCH of carbs), I've never had a "warpage issue" with any of them. Maybe you're refering to a BBD or BBS? I've even repaired carbs with damaged mounting flanges (which required welding - you know, heat), touched things up carefully with a large flat file and gone on about my business. Please explain this "warpage issue"... Could it be urban legend??? ;)

D/W

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:19 am 
Board Sponsor

argentina-slantsixer, have you cosidered a Stromberg?? :wink: (I'm half-kidding, but their two barrel was very similar to a BBD and common to Chrysler cars even up into the sixties) Although I'm definitely no authority on Strombergs, they were all the rage at one time (read: The Flathead Days...)

By the way, an interesting bit of trivia, the Carter BBD/BBS's are really Ball & Ball designs (ergo, Ball & Ball Dual = BBD and Ball & Ball Single = "BBS"). Carter purchased the rights to the design from Ball & Ball carburetor. They even have "Ball & Ball Carburetor" cast onto one side up into the late sixties.

DusterIdiot, you'll like this one, being the two-barrel aficionado you seem to be:

I purchased a wrecked '71 318 powered Dodge Dart for parts a couple of years ago, and it had a factory installed, made for Chrysler, Rochester 2GV two-barrel sitting atop the motor. I did a little research, and found out that Chrysler ran into a shortage problem with Carter in 1970 or 71 (I think I read it was a strike at Carter), so for a very short while, they were putting GM carbs on their cars..... Yuuuck! I knew that Chrysler went to the Rochester QuadraJet on LA engines in the late eighties when the Thermoquad went out of production, but I had no idea they had played footsie with a GM division prior to that. I must say, it did seem to run well, but I traded it off anyway - I don't need no stinking GM parts contaminating things here! :lol:

D/W

Post subject: Lol...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:42 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I actually helped my cousin look over some Rochester 4 barrels that a guy had a barrel of for his Chubby 350... Seems Rochester had such bad quality control problems from 1975-1978 that during those years Carter produced the Rochester 4 barrels during those years and they have 'Rocheter made by Carter' embossed in the sides. Some 'expurts' seem to agree that those were the best quality 'Rochesters' to get at any time in the GM production run with carburated engines...LOL

And Actually somewhere in my pile I do have a 1967 Stromberg from a 383-2V Newport...ther early one's are more desired, the late one's like the 66-67 are OK but quality was sinking as they went out of business...

Carter doeshave the warpage issue, but I"ve not heard it on the current Edelbrocks only on junkyard OEM carbs and the TQ's especially...

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:12 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I have one carter that sez WCD on the back and a #976. Do you know that model? on the front sez CARbureTER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:45 pm 
Board Sponsor

That's an old Carter 2 barrel, probably from the fifties, maybe there were some 60's applications, I'm not sure. WCD = "Will Carter Dual" or "White Cast Dual" depending on who you ask... WCFB = you figure it out!

D/W

Post subject: Re: Lol...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:48 pm 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
Carter doeshave the warpage issue, but I"ve not heard it on the current Edelbrocks only on junkyard OEM carbs and the TQ's especially...

-D.Idiot
What is this "warpage issue"??!!?

Yes, we all know the Thermoquads had trouble because of their phenolic carb bodies, but what other Carter carbs suffer from a "warpage issue"? I want details, man!

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:21 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
If you take a Holley apart, there are so many parts that you will probably never get it back together. A Holley 1945 one barrel has more parts than a Motorcraft 2-barrel or a Carter 4-barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:25 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
the top of the 2bbl's warp i've got a couple that are but not that bad so they are still use able

1998 Dakota

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:30 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Hey...I've got to say that I'm ali'l confused :oops:

Over the years I've heard so many times that carter has more power but less efficiency when it comes to fuel/air mixture control and poor mileage ... and when I read this topic I realize that I've been wrong all this years. I felt that holley carburetors has a li'l bit extra juice, against the popular believings down here, and It feels nice to be rite on something once in a while 8) :twisted:

I think that since I'm not familiar with carters, and the one I have being too old and not getting replacement parts or gaskets set that easily, I may go with holley.

Thanks for all your tips! :)

About Strombergs, since someone brought that up, I have 4 1 barrel strombergs and 2 2 barrels. They rock, IMHO, but I can't get parts or gaskets for those since 1980 or so, and they are ugly hard to tune up right. (especially the 2 barrel ones). Local Chrysler used those carbs like in the late 60's and early 70's for the GT's setups on 6 cyl engines and 4 cyl engines (not really a mopar developed car, some version of Hillman's Avenger that went under the Dodge label here in argentina and in Brazil)