Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Starter help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:37 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Irrigation well
Trying to find an after market starter that will spin faster when starting an older slant 6. From what I researched this appears to be the marine version or 60 to 61 version. Anyone know what will fit? Possibly Powermaster 9614? Other options? Setting it up as a well motor on propane

Can't seem to get the image to post but is the old style with the solenoid separate from the starter. I believe it is direct drive as well.

Post subject: Re: Starter help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The direct-drive '60-'61 starter (through '66 in Canada) will not fit with a '62-up ('67-up in Canada) flywheel or torque converter, and it would not be an improvement anyway.

Grossly overpriced "race" starters (hah) from PowerMaster are a giant waste of money.

The stock starter in good condition spins the engine plenty fast enough for the car to have successfully got through all these years, though like all starters they do slow down with age and wear. You can get a brand new genuine Chrysler starter from Old Car Parts Northwest, and it will spin the engine faster than your old starter. If you request a large-frame starter (about 1/2" longer than the small-frame starter) it will spin even faster than that. If you want a starter that is fast and miniature and lightweight, you can install this one, which is a direct bolt-on. If you also need it to provide maximum clearance for non-stock exhaust components, then that's this one which requires a minor bit of adaptation, and then it's a direct fit.

Whatever starter you wind up with, make sure the rest of the system is in good repair. Nothing dragging, battery and cables in good condition, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:38 am 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks for the reply, but I believe I am needing the direct drive starter. Definitely not looking for any overpriced starter since this will be used in as an irrigation well motor. Current starter just doesn't seem to have enough spin to get it to start. It tries to fire on the first couple of turns and then drags to slow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 am 
1 BBL (New)

https://imgur.com/a/cSflGiL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:42 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Yes, that's the direct-drive starter. If the starter is worn out it will drag like that. You might find the battery cables getting warm from the excessive current. You can have it rebuilt. Find a local shop if you can.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:38 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
You don't say weather you want the large stock type starter or the small mini starter? The mini's spin so much faster than stock, and weigh about 20 pounds less. You can find the minis in a junkyard for about $20-25 bucks. Here's some more info on them. Good Luck
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/1.html
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/2.html
You want to go shopping for one?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:58 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but I believe I am needing the direct drive starter.
Per your picture, yes, you are. So disregard my links and 69a100's links; none of those will suit.

You don't need an upgraded starter, you need a repaired starter. Pull yours, take it to an auto electrical rebuild shop, and have them go through it. That will solve the problem. If you have no auto electrical shop within workable distance, then there's this and this at the moment,

These starters were made by what was known at the time as The Electric Auto-Lite Company, now called Prestolite. Compatible original starter numbers include MDT-6017, MDT-7002, and MDT-7009.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:37 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks for the replies. I am just looking to buy one ASAP and will check out the links provided. I was hoping there was a readily available aftermarket solution, but it appears that is not the case.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:59 pm 
1 BBL (New)

FYI - I found this with the part numbers provided and will be trying it out. Was hoping to find a version with solenoid attached but this will have to work.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.findit ... 6-1837.amp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 pm 

Car Model:
The starter you receive may well have holes drilled and tapped to mount a solenoid (the one in the pic does); if not you can drill and tap them yourself if you want, just be careful not to drill too deep. Short holes, short bolts. The way the connection was made on starters originally equipped was with a flat copper strap strategically bent along an angle. You can see it if you zoom in on the pics in this auction. Wouldn't be hard to fabricate; just make sure to use adequately thick copper. The solenoid to get is this one, with the curved bracket to mount on the starter.