Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:05 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Quote:
The carb will probably work out of the box. I messed quite a bit with the edelbrock 500avs and it turned the out of box settings worked the best. The only real change was to the step up springs. I adjusted them to my engines vacuum level.

I am really thinking on putting that carb and the Clifford manifold on the Duster.
Thanks. Problem is, this carb was removed from the box decades ago. I am hoping it still has the stock calibration but I won't know until I really get in there and give it a good cleaning.

I found a tuning kit on eBay with a bunch of springs, jets, and rods, but I am hoping I won't need it. I really want to see how the AFR gauge works out.

I did manage to get the adapter and gasket sandwich worked out to mount a four barrel carb on a Super Six manifold. Let me tell you, it is a bad idea to try. I am only doing this temporarily until I can get a decent two barrel carb or I can save up for fuel injection.

I have a strong suspicion the tired old 225 in my truck won't ever have enough vacuum to open the secondary air door on this AFB, but who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I thought you had an offy under the bench. Is your adapter for the holley 2300 bolt pattern?

My Dart would open the secondaries at 3500 rpms. Made for interesting trips down the freeway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:30 pm 
Supercharged

I do have an Offy intake, but it is on its way back to me from Bryce Gill. I sent it to him to be converted to MPFI, but the manifold had so many problems that it was not economically feasible to use it as a base for a fuel injection conversion. WHen I get it back I am going to repair the holes for the carb studs and prep it for use, wither carbed or as a base for a fuel injection conversion.

Meantime, I just needed to get my truck up and running and the only decent carb I had was this AFB. So, off I embarked on the adventure of making a four barrel carb work on a two barrel intake.

Again, this is a terrible idea and I strongly caution against anyone else doing this. While it is physically possible to put a four barrel carb on a two barrel iontake, it is a bad idea. This is just a temporary get-by Mickey Mouse fix to get the truck back on the road. I hope to soon put together a better motor and swap it in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:34 am 
Supercharged

The AFB is disassembled and soaking in the carb clenaing solution. Glad I disassembled it. The metering rods are the stock rods, but someone put the primary jets in the secondary holes. I don't know the size of the jets that were in the primary holes since the lips of the jets were mangled by a screwdriver. Not my screwdriver. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Fortunately, the tuning kit I got has the correct size primary jets. Fingers crossed the engine is up and running by this afternoon. Biggest remaining obstacle is welding in the O2 sensor bung. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm 
Supercharged

The fuel pump squirter has the number "264" cast into it. I am hoping this is the stock size squirter, but can't find any info on this on the internet. Mostly people seem to change jets, rods, and springs, not squirters.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:38 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Red dot Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:05 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
What size were the secondary Jets 383 or 377? What brand kit did you use and what was the float setting?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:06 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:11 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:12 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Does your carburetor have any of those markings? Accelerator pump check ball is used in older afb, newer ones from Federal-Mogul eliminated the check ball, Fill's from Top only. Just curious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:37 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Reed, I still have the 500 CFM AFB that you sold me probably 10 years ago. You had said something about the 360 van that you had had it on gettin well into the 20s for MPG on that 360.
The use that I had in mind then, never did materialize. I have a "Plan-b" for it now. My gutless 78 Fury 2 door's 318, needs a Lean Burn-ectomy. That carb, with one of my aluminum intakes, is headed there. I think that of what carbs I have on hand, that 500 will be the best match for that combo.

BUT, now that there's another /6 round here, and that /6 is getting a new life / including some newfound power, if this 500 might be better for that engine, than the 318 BBD that I have here in a box, waiting for me to assemble the rest of said /6? I have a couple of other carbs around here, that could be made to work on a 318/ that would definitely be too much for a /6....................a 600 AFB, and a couple of TQ's.................... definitely gonna be watching what you do in this thread, how it works out for you with this 500 that you are playing with.

Mine will not be a stock 225 anymore, like yours is. It won't be radical though, either. It will a have a head shave, a little head porting, possibly oversize valves, and an Oregon 819 cam, from being stock.
I am wondering "what if", how much more power a 500 4 bbl on either an Offy or Clifford intake (which I'd have to get) would be worth over the super 6 stack that I have here for that engine........ just thinking out loud,
Carry on with your 500 swap, so I can watch your struggles from here, as I put the rest of my combo together, to help me to decide whether I want to head down that rabbit hole.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:45 pm 
Supercharged

Sorry for the late answer. I got everything installed and assembled today, except for the oxygen sensor and the A/F gauge wiring. Hopefully that can be done tomorrow.

Hooray on the smallest pump squirter. It is probably just fine for a slant six.

The rebuild kit was a no-name kit for an Edelbrock Performer I got for for $14 on eBay or Amazon, I can't remember which. I wish I had thought to get one for an AFB. The needles and seats were different from the originals, but the ones already in the carb actually looked fairly new.

Definitely a Carter made carb, not a Weber casting. Maybe a later Federal Mogul casting. The fuel pump check used a pointed brass hexagonal weight, but the rebuild kit had the weight and a check ball. I reused the original pointed weight because I figured the passage in the carb would not be compatible with the check ball design.

I stuck with the stock 9/64 float setting. The fuel pickup tubes had one big hile at the bottom, not multiple holes up the tube like the newer Edelbrocks do.

I never found out the size of the secondary jets. The brass lip where the size number is stamped was damaged on both jets and the number was marred beyond recognition. I saved the jets and will try figuring out the jet size using drill bits.

Thanks for your help on this and for the info. I am pretty sure I got the carb back to the stock original tune. Now I just need to try starting the engine. Maybe tomorrow. I want to get the AFR gauge working before I start the engine, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:53 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
Reed, I still have the 500 CFM AFB that you sold me probably 10 years ago. You had said something about the 360 van that you had had it on gettin well into the 20s for MPG on that 360.
The use that I had in mind then, never did materialize. I have a "Plan-b" for it now. My gutless 78 Fury 2 door's 318, needs a Lean Burn-ectomy. That carb, with one of my aluminum intakes, is headed there. I think that of what carbs I have on hand, that 500 will be the best match for that combo.

BUT, now that there's another /6 round here, and that /6 is getting a new life / including some newfound power, if this 500 might be better for that engine, than the 318 BBD that I have here in a box, waiting for me to assemble the rest of said /6? I have a couple of other carbs around here, that could be made to work on a 318/ that would definitely be too much for a /6....................a 600 AFB, and a couple of TQ's.................... definitely gonna be watching what you do in this thread, how it works out for you with this 500 that you are playing with.

Mine will not be a stock 225 anymore, like yours is. It won't be radical though, either. It will a have a head shave, a little head porting, possibly oversize valves, and an Oregon 819 cam, from being stock.
I am wondering "what if", how much more power a 500 4 bbl on either an Offy or Clifford intake (which I'd have to get) would be worth over the super 6 stack that I have here for that engine........ just thinking out loud,
Carry on with your 500 swap, so I can watch your struggles from here, as I put the rest of my combo together, to help me to decide whether I want to head down that rabbit hole.

Don-

The 500 CFM carb should be OK on even a mild slant six. If the secondary air flow is limited by the air door, then it shouldn't have overcarburetion problems. I would put the 500 CFM AFB on the slant and the 600 CFM AFB on the 318. I have been doing a bunch more than just putting this AFB on a Super Six intake. I am switching to a cable kickdown linkage and installing a bunch of gauges. This whole operation would be much easier with a four barrel intake. I highly recommend you use the right intake for the carb. This two-to-four barrel adapter nonsense is a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
yup. that's why I had said that would mean that I'd have to get me an Offy or a Clifford intake to do it.
Gonna be putting some kind of a cable KD linkage onto it even if I stay with my original idea of the Super 6 stack anyway.
I got plenty of time before my engine will be 1 piece again anyways, so plenty of time to watch you and your follies.
all that said (trying to be funny here) I wonder if anyone ever tried a TQ on a slant???? I have a few of those around too.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next