Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:09 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Supplied bolts almost useless no washers slip right through

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:13 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
That nut fits in there pretty good, much more surface area. Drill the threads out of the nut so that a separate bolt can be used

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:20 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:25 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I like your solution. Very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
On the other side of that green line, if the welders not busy , have him weld that up. If no weld will try epoxy Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:42 pm 
Supercharged

Well, I finally got a chance to try out the AFB on my super six intake. I made a run to the metal recycling depot to empty out the bed of my truck. I was very impressed with the difference. I don't know if it is the AFB carb replacing the old worn out BBD, or the MSD Blaster 2 coil replacing the old stock coil, or the Lokar kickdown cable replacing the cobbled together rod style kickdown linkage, but the truck has never run this good or have this much seat-of-the-pants power. I still don't recommend putting a four barrel carb on a two barrel intake, but it seems to be working OK for me.

The downside is this truck really needs a complete restoration and is on the ragged edge of being safe to drive. I think I will make a few more dump runs with it and then park it for a full resto, or at least fix the leaky exhaust and heater core so I don't gas myself out driving. But I still need to try out Doug's 13 tooth oil pump gear and see if the gear on mine wears out as fast as the other one did.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:13 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 69 Valiant
I just ran across your post. I ran a super six intake and carb on my Valiant for years. Mine has a couple of mods like headers, cam and a higher stall converter. A couple of years ago the carb started acting up. I had an Offenhauser 4bbl intake laying around but it needed some welding done to it to make it work. My plan was to install it after I got it repaired. In the meantime, I wanted to try out my Carter 9500 AFB since I had a pretty much non working carb so I bought the same adapter and installed it. I ran into the same issues you did. I was able to find some allen head bolts with a bigger head so they worked. I put on the AFB and it worked great. I had no issues with it and the power was better than the BBD. It had about the same power as the Holley 2280 carb and adapter I had ran on it but with no tip in hesitation(that carb had issues I couldn't fix either).

I've seen this adapter installed on a 318 with good results also.

Good to hear someone else had good luck with this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:58 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Quote:
Well, I still don't recommend putting a four barrel carb on a two barrel intake, but it seems to be working OK.
Quote:
I just ran across your post. I ran a super six intake and carb on my Valiant for years. I wanted to try out my Carter 9500 AFB since I had a pretty much non working carb so I bought the same adapter and installed it. I ran into the same issues you did. I was able to find some allen head bolts with a bigger head so they worked. I put on the AFB and it worked great. I had no issues with it and the power was better than the BBD.

These experiences suggest the BBD, while a solid choice due to it's ease of use, May not optimal from the perspective of fuel atomization and-or represents some sort of intake restriction?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:32 pm 
Supercharged

I have had great luck with BBDs in the past. I suspect most BBDs you find these days need a thorough disassembly, inspection, and rebuilding, to include rebushing the throttle shaft and making 100% certain the small passages are clean. These carbs are getting old. I am almost to the point of recommending using a small four barrel carb just because you can still get them new and get parts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:40 pm 
Supercharged

One thing to keep in mind is that this adapter stack is very tall. I normally have lots of hood clearance on my truck but this adapter stack puts the air cleaner so close to the hood that it rattles against it when I am stopped and idling. Very annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:57 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 69 Valiant
Yes hood clearance is an issue. I ran an edelbrock triangular foam air cleaner. Its not a great choice for its filtration ability but it does fit and looks good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:06 pm 
Supercharged

I am running a stock air cleaner off of a 1986 360. It has two snorkels and one of them has an air flow operated air door. Pretty trick for my old truck. If I was running a true four barrel intake hood clearance would not be an issue since I would not need the adapter stack.