Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 12:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Big cam for new motor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 9:42 am 
Offline
TBI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Woodland CA
Car Model: 1971 Scamp
I’ve got a new motor on the stand, wiseco pistons, molnar rods, ported head and 4bbl/headers. Looking for a cam. I currently don’t have a cam core so I can’t just send it off to Ken at OCG. I don’t trust comp cams and they don’t offer anything worthwhile for the slant anyway.

Just checking with the group before I source a used cam and send it to OR.

Thanks!
Jared


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 10:48 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:57 pm
Posts: 9471
Location: Waynesboro, Pa.
Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Ken did have some slant 6 blanks the last time I called him?

Tell us more about what the car will have ( Gearing , auto or manual...etc) and what your goal is and we can recommend a cam or two for you!

_________________
2 Mopars come with Spark plug tubes. One is a world class, racing machine. The other is a 426 CI. boat anchor!
Image
12.70 @ 104.6
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:24 pm 
Offline
TBI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Woodland CA
Car Model: 1971 Scamp
Honestly just a driver, the built short block kinda fell into my lap. It’s 2.76 gears with 26” tall tires. 904 auto with a tf2 shift kit, I’m definitely willing to buy a converter to get away with more cam but my stall speed will probably have to stay below 2500 as that is right near cruising RPM for me. Hyper Pak intake, Edelbrock avs2 500 cfm carb,and Clifford shortys with a full 2.5” single exhaust. The head has a basic clean up porting job and oversized valves. I’m calculating right at 9.4:1 with a thick head gasket. Could always pick up some compression with a steel gasket but California gas…


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 4:37 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:08 am
Posts: 17617
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Car Model:
I would get the Oregon 346 grind and degree it at 100.

Or I can give you the specs of the slightly bigger one Greg has been using with about that static CR. He loves it.

Lou

_________________
Home of Slant6-powered fun machines since 1988


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:44 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:57 pm
Posts: 9471
Location: Waynesboro, Pa.
Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
This will be a large scale dog with those gears! :D :D It will cruise nice at 80 but the 1st 1/4 mile will be measured in minutes!

With a big cam and an auto you really need a higher stall convertor. Or else they are not that fun to drive. Anything much over 220 @ .050 duration with a stock convertor is pretty annoying. Ask me how I know. But you probably want a little more than a 2500 stall speed to help out.

_________________
2 Mopars come with Spark plug tubes. One is a world class, racing machine. The other is a 426 CI. boat anchor!
Image
12.70 @ 104.6
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:02 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:08 am
Posts: 17617
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Car Model:
2800 stall is my recommendation and I would not go lower with that cam and comp. It will still "lock up" hydraulically quite well at 2500. New converters are much more efficient than before. Edge Racing is the place to go.

Lou

_________________
Home of Slant6-powered fun machines since 1988


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:33 am 
Offline
TBI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Woodland CA
Car Model: 1971 Scamp
Quote:
I would get the Oregon 346 grind and degree it at 100.

Or I can give you the specs of the slightly bigger one Greg has been using with about that static CR. He loves it.

Lou
Thanks Lou, I’m definitely interested in the bigger grind specs. Is Greg using it in an automatic car? I’ll send Ken an email about the 346 in the meantime.

Jared


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:37 am 
Offline
TBI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Woodland CA
Car Model: 1971 Scamp
Quote:
This will be a large scale dog with those gears! :D :D It will cruise nice at 80 but the 1st 1/4 mile will be measured in minutes!

With a big cam and an auto you really need a higher stall convertor. Or else they are not that fun to drive. Anything much over 220 @ .050 duration with a stock convertor is pretty annoying. Ask me how I know. But you probably want a little more than a 2500 stall speed to help out.
The car is just a weekend toy, I’ve been building slants for over 20 years and the hyper pak is the only manifold I haven’t run. It’s time. I just want to look cool when I pop the hood. Something for the “ooohhh’s” and “ahhh’s”.

I’m thinking a 2800 stall like Lou mentioned. It won’t be a record setter but should get out of its own way.

I really appreciate your input Rick!

Jared


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:15 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:08 am
Posts: 17617
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Car Model:
I have run high-ish stalls with hwy gears like 2.76 or 2.94 and CR and cam like that and it works fine. Back in the late 90s! Can be pretty fast too. My 68 Dart ran mid/high 15s like that while commuting in LA. Not a super light car either.
Have fun!!
Lou

_________________
Home of Slant6-powered fun machines since 1988


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:37 am 
Offline
TBI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Woodland CA
Car Model: 1971 Scamp
Quote:
I have run high-ish stalls with hwy gears like 2.76 or 2.94 and CR and cam like that and it works fine. Back in the late 90s! Can be pretty fast too. My 68 Dart ran mid/high 15s like that while commuting in LA. Not a super light car either.
Have fun!!
Lou
I’m still running a 7 1/4 and keeping my eyes peeled for one with a 2.94 to swap in. That’s about as much gear as I want to run due to being hours away from all the Mopar fun, I want this thing to cruise the highway. Thanks again for your input, it’s much appreciated.

Jared


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited