Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 11:01 pm

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:45 pm 
Offline
Turbo EFI
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:07 am
Posts: 1214
Location: Cypress, Texas, Northwest Houston. The Lone Star State
Car Model:
Okay, the replacement slant six has not been started in over six years.
Should I remove the spark plugs and squirt oil in there, then replace the plugs?

What should I do before I crank it over for the first time in a while?

Thanks!

_________________
"Ja, Ich fahre ein altes auto."
'78 Volare 225
'67 Charger 318


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:57 am 
Offline
SL6 Racer & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:06 pm
Posts: 9076
Location: Silver Springs, Fl.
Car Model:
I have the same issue on a car that was given to me. I am going extreme. Going to drain the oil, and remove the spark plugs. Mist oil in the cylinders. Pour some oil on the valve train. Connect an "acusump" unit I have to the oil gauge fitting on the oil pump and pressurize the oiling system, as I turn the engine over, with the plugs still out. I am going to this extreme, as the engine has been built with a lot of "good" parts (K-1/molner rods, Wiseco pistons, etc), and I don't know how long it has sat, or how much running time it had, before being stored.

In your case I would just oil the cylinders and crank the engine over with the plugs out untill I had some oil pressere. Then install the plugs and fire it up.

_________________
Charrlie_S
65 Valiant 100 2dr post 170 turbo
66 Valiant Signet 170 nitrous
64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:55 pm 
Offline
Turbo EFI
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:07 am
Posts: 1214
Location: Cypress, Texas, Northwest Houston. The Lone Star State
Car Model:
Okay, thanks Charrlie!

_________________
"Ja, Ich fahre ein altes auto."
'78 Volare 225
'67 Charger 318


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:15 pm 
Offline
SL6 Racer & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:06 pm
Posts: 9076
Location: Silver Springs, Fl.
Car Model:
One other thing, I forgot to mention. It would probably be a good idea to pull the rocker cover. You will want to make sure all the valves operate properly. Slants seem to have a problem, on occasion, if it is a used engine sitting for a long period, of the valves sticking in the guides, and bending pushrods. While the cover is off, pour some oil on the rocker shaft. The valve train is the last thing to get oil.

_________________
Charrlie_S
65 Valiant 100 2dr post 170 turbo
66 Valiant Signet 170 nitrous
64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 56 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited