Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Fuel Injection
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:11 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Did Chrysler ever make a TBI setup that will bolt onto a 2 barrel /6 intake? If not, what can be used to convert to TBI? I don't have the kind of money it takes to install a multi-port setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:24 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
What computer are you planning on using?

I think someone on here mentioned that one of the later model dodge truck tbi's would fit, but I can't be 100% sure. www.howell-efi.com makes a Holley 2barrel 500cfm to GM TBI adapter, but I'm not sure if that 2 barrel pattern is the same as the supersix.

I use a clifford manifold and GM 2 barrel TBI. I used the howell holley 4 barrel to GM TBI adapter. I had to drill out the holes on this adapter to match the clifford pattern. I then used the remaining holley pattern hoels to set up the lokar linkage. Look for my post in the gallery section of this forum for my efi post and you'll see pictures there.

The gm 2 or 4 barrel throttle body is often used in custom efi setups. Its plentiful in junkyards and cheap. Has onboard fuel pressure regulator, stepper iac, and tps. This has a non-standard funky 3 bolt gm pattern. If you really want to be cost effective, I'd suggest get a 2 barrel GM throttle body and a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum and make your own adapter. If you already have a offy/clifford manifold I'd suggest you go the route I did because it makes the lokar linkage hookup a snap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:26 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
An early Dakota (88-89) 3.9 throttle body will bolt onto a super six manifold. Im not sure that this is a Canadian only situation. The throttle body in question is a Holley and has the same bolt pattern and venturii size as a BBD. The nice thing here is that the throttle body in question is sized nicely for a slant.
I plan on using one of these for my TBI setup. However I also plan on using the 4.3L GM TBI setup for everything else...including the injectors. I only plan on using the Dakota body because it fits the Super 6 manifold. I much prefer the GM (Rochester) electronics and Injectors.
I plan on using the GM puter but a Mega Squirt might be an option.

Pierres setup seems pretty sweet and very similar.

The expense and time consumption in these swaps comes from the need for an electric high pressure (10-15 lbs) fuel system and a fuel return line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:53 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Did you happen to read this article?
http://slantsix.org/articles/dibiase_ef ... ersion.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Sandy, the info on the Dakota is interesting. I have been talking to Doug about putting together a bolt-on TBI setup for the slant, one for a 1bbl replacement and one for a 2bbl upgrade.

I currently have a TBI off of a Ford 2.3l that bolts directly onto the 1bbl manifold and only needs a spacer. I am looking for the diagram for the Ford computer to see if I can make it work so I don't have to go to the expense of the MegaSquirt. There was a thread about this a long time ago but it died out. I would like to have anyone else who is considering this throw in their 2 cents worth. The goal is an inexpensive bolt-on kit that anyone can install, made with readily available junkyard parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:26 pm 

Car Model:
Thanks for your interest Chuck!

Heres what I am up to:

I have a 65 Valiant 225 Super 6 with a 5 spd manual trans and 7.25 rear with 3.23 gears.
Currently my son (20) uses it to drive here to work everyday (50 miles return) . The motor has been baffed for literally years. Last summer we installed our best used timing chain and readjusted the valves. To be fair, we are in a cold snap (since New Years) and the car has started everyday and has done several trips to out of town ski hills as well as the daily commute.

We have on hand a BH block and crank and rods and a new set of 60 over pistons. I was given a Isky 264 can and double row timing set (almost new).
We also have a late drool tube head with 1.72 intake 1.50 exhaust Chev valves installed. This head needs porting.
Currently we are running aluminum Super 6 manifold with a BBD and full 2.25 exhaust with a stock manifold.

I am monitoring a thread on .com I feel may lead to templates for head porting. http://www.slantsix.com/UBB/Forum18/HTML/000267.html
We have already done some chamber work ala Dougs articles : http://www.slantsix.org/articles/combus ... hamber.htm
and Panics papers : http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/chamber-tech-c.htm

Amongst our "fleet" around here is my Girl friends 89 Dakota 3.9 (I hate it). The one thing of interest on this truck is the Holley throttle body that has the same bolt pattern and venturii openings as a BBD Carter 2 barrel.

I have a lot of experience with modified Rochester 220 TBI setups. I have about 200 000 miles on a SBC 350 in a 73 GMC Suburban with self installed TBI. This is the hardest working truck in the world (pulls a 12000 lb trailer in the mountains) and is routinely driven by 20 year old men. It has a split duration cam (218/226 @ .050 , 111 LS , .462/.480 lift) headers and Performer intake and a modified Rochester 220 with increased fuel pressure. I use a stock Chev truck ECU with a custom chip courtesy Alvin the Chip Monk ( PCMforless.com ). This truck makes as much torque as a stock TBI 454 and gets 30% better mileage than a carbed 350 in the same truck.(Regular fuel) I have another fleet vehicle with the same TBI system and a PCMforless chip but fewer mods.

The plan is to use the harness, sensors and ECU from a 4.3L Astro, S10 etc. They use the same ECU as most Chev trucks and are easy to scan and Chip. I would put the 4.3 injectors in the Holley TB as the Holley injectors have a poor reputation and I like to match components where possible. The hard sensor is the speed sensor. I have not sorted that one out.
Any FI setup requires a electric fuel pump and a return system. My plan involves the HLY-12-927 Holley unit $139 Summit)or similar. I would plumb the return line into the tank vent tube.

A Dakota TB is $46 from Spaldings
A complete 4.3 harness with sensors etc around here is $75
An oxygen sensor bung welded in exhaust head pipe $25
Never having a throttle bushing problem or setting a choke again.....priceless.

So.....why isn t this project complete?
(1) Business is growing at 50% per year
(2) Every other vehicle in the fleet has jumped the queue
(3) Ventricular arrythmia
(4) Currently snowing an inch an hour outside our unheated shop
(5) Snowboarding in feet of snow. Boardercross season.
(6) The Valaint keeps running like a champ the way it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:19 pm 
Some people just delete the speed sensor, when they get the new chip made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:28 pm 
Doesn´t someone make an adapter, to run a digital speedo, with the old transmisions? I think I have seen that. Like when they put a th400 in a newer car. It goes on instead of the wire? Or maybe you could use an aftermarket tach sensor for a diesel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:15 pm 

Car Model:
There are adapters etc for the speed sensor...and if I have to I will get one. BUT the idea here is to keep it cheep,,,ala Charlie_S new race car. There is prolly a stock setup that will work. I know a MSD ignition could be used...but I plan on mounting a GM 7 pin module in a Lean Burn distributor . The cheaper...stocker this can be ,the better. I live 5 hours and a border crossing from a speed shop....2 and a half hours from a stoplight but only 1/2 an hour from a NAPA so all my wearable parts must be easily obtained. Many of the folks on this board are from overseas or foreign lands where hotrod parts are hard to find.

Now,,,I have a snowboard to wax....yellow will be fast tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:21 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
About a year ago I replaced the speed sensor in my brother's 85 k-car (aires le) with EFI. The car had a mechanical speedo with an electronic speed sensor. The sensor looked like a normal speed sensor except it had a average looking speedo cable threaded attachment hanging off the end. I can't say for certain that it would interchange with '78 up rwd cable setup but it did look close. The car was wrecked and scrapped in august so I can't yank it to compare. It's just another avenue for frequent visitors to the junkyard to explore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:12 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Sandy, the info on the Dakota is interesting. I have been talking to Doug about putting together a bolt-on TBI setup for the slant, one for a 1bbl replacement and one for a 2bbl upgrade.

I currently have a TBI off of a Ford 2.3l that bolts directly onto the 1bbl manifold and only needs a spacer. I am looking for the diagram for the Ford computer to see if I can make it work so I don't have to go to the expense of the MegaSquirt. There was a thread about this a long time ago but it died out. I would like to have anyone else who is considering this throw in their 2 cents worth. The goal is an inexpensive bolt-on kit that anyone can install, made with readily available junkyard parts.
Chuck, bolt-on kit — YES!!! I'm very interested in some sort of TBI set-up, and don't mind educating myself a bit about a system in order to install/troubleshoot, but have neither the time nor the ability to become as fluent in fuel injection theory as many of the gifted mechanics that often post here. Hats off to these guys, but I'm just not smart/mechanically-inclined enough to tackle something that intimidating. But a fairly simple kit, with clear, easy-to-understand instructions, already put together? I'd PAY for that!

VM
VM