Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:19 pm 
I have a 1986 D-150 with a 3.7L 225. I bought it for $900.00 and have had to replace the power steering pump and carb. That's where the problems started. I bought a Tomco replacement for a Holley 1945. I also replace the fuel pump, filter and all lines from between the fuel tank and the carb. Now, when running it stalls totally and will not take fuel. I have checked for spark and that's fine, but it totally stalls and will not take fuel. When this happens fuel is making it to, and passing through, the fuel filter when cranked but not making it into the carb. Has anyone else had problems with Tomco carbs. ? Are Champion carbs. any better? Or does anyone have any other ideas about what's making it stall, besides the floats sticking or being faulty in the carb.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:21 pm 
I posted this message but it would not let me enter my registered username: topherice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:48 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Rebuilt carbs of any brand are a gamble at best.

If fuel is making it past the filter but not into the bowl.. hmm, maybe check float level and the needle/seat ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:55 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks. I was figuring that it was something internal to the carb. I've just taken back the second Tomco carb. to O'Reilly's Auto Parts. This time I got a refund and I think I'll try the rebuilt Champion from Advanced Auto Parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:26 pm 
If this one doesn´t work, I suggest you get a rebuild-kit and do it yourself.
It isn´t that hard.

Post subject: tomco
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:49 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
i used to work at an unnamed parts store that sold tomco carbs. i saw more of those carbs come back for warranty than any other. you are better off rebuilding it yourself. i agree that most rebuilds from a parts store are a gamble at best. find someone local that does it if you cant. the good ole boys usually do the best work. p.s. the store dropped tomco as a rebuilder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:20 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Ok. I got the new Champion Carb. installed and it started right up, ran so sweet. I took it down the road about a mile and on the way back it started sputtering and stalled then totally quit running. It would not start up again, so I let it cool off for about 10 minutes and then it fired right up and I made it back home. I let it sit and idle for about 20 min. no probs. then took it for another spin and the same thing happened again, then engine just totally stalled out. I pressed the gas pedal to the floor and nothing, but it cranks and tries to start every time. Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe a bad coil or ignition module or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:38 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I'm wondering if there's any junk in the gas tank, even some could cause a blockage sometimes and not others. It happened to our old '65 Valiant, 1/2 tank of gas and it would die out completely. 10 mins later she'd be ready to go again.

While checking out your coil, maybe take a look at the electronic ignition. They can do funny things at bad times as well