Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: marine/export BBD
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:47 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
It's getting closer to springtime and Im preparing to get the marine slant into the Dart. I have a 77 Aspen BBD but would prefer a non-emissions version, and I think that an early marine/export BBD would be ideal.

Anyone know where I could get one? Marina? Mail order? How about a carb number? Hey, while I'm dreaming, how about a non-EGR 2bbl intake?

Should I be doing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:39 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I went through the hassle and expense of digging up the export 2bbl carb and manifold about 12 years ago. Those parts were very scarce even then.

The result: Just use the generally-available components, either a '76-'80 Slant-6 BBD or an earlier V8 BBD or Stromberg WW. There's no advantage to the export/marine setup, and the choke is much harder to deal with besides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:00 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
ok, next question :twisted: , are there any other modifications I can make to an early 318 BBD other than the usual ones listed in the articles section? ref:

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supers ... -list1.htm

I don't imagine the venturis are removable... but I havent torn mine apart yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:03 am 

Car Model:
The inner venturi rings are removable. Mods? Well, rebush the throttle body so there's no slop/air leakage. You can also use small files and/or a Dremel tool to deburr the throats, but don't get too carried away. I usually assemble BBDs and BBSs with *two* gaskets between each body casting, which helps cut way down on leaks. You do have to buy two carb kits to do this, though.

Also, does everyone know the "Bang!" trick for restoring the accelerator inlet check ball seat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:07 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
indeed I do...

so the venturi rings can be exchanged, the choke shaft plate indexed, the brass idle restrictor... but how to remove it without damaging it?....

That's it, Im going to the pic-n-pull...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:13 am 

Car Model:
Not sure why you'd want to exchange the venturi rings for a different set. Or why you'd need to "index" (???) the choke plate. And what is it you want to do to the idle jet/why?

They do run well without modifications...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:45 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
well, what I mean is the choke fulcrum point. The other mods would have to do with precise fuel metering, as I understand it. Here is where I got all this into my head (see Reed's post and brochure referenced earlier):

"Here is a list of the big difference between the 318 BBD and the Slant Six BBD:

(1) Slant six carb has idel mixture restrictors in the main idle circuit. Keeps the mixture from being too rich.

(2) Smaller main venturi for increased vacuum signal. Throttle bores are the same between 318 and 225 BBDs, but ther 225 has less cubic inches and therefore less vacuum sgnal at the ports in the carb. Therefore, the slant six BBD has smaller venturis.

(3) The slant six choke is offset in the air horn to proviode for leaner warm-up mixtures.

(4) The slant six BBD has a limited step-up piston travel to limit emissions.

Like I said, little differences, but enought to warrant getting the correct carburetor"

I'm sure using a 318 BBD as is would be fine, but the whole goal of my engine rebuild was to get everything perfect and get a smooth-as-glass idle and nice smooth power all the way through, with room to grow later. If I can do this carb up to the nines, I want to try. So why not just use the 77 smog carb? Well, most of that legislation didn't exist in '69, and I just want to calibrate the carb to precisely suit the slant's fuel and air requirements, not necessarily to update its emissions. I want it to look and feel as if it belongs there. I'm even thinking of hacking the air horn ring out of my 77 air cleaner and grafting it into the 69 unsilenced one with no snorkel. Kind of like that late-model polyspheric 318 build that guy was doing, only this one's a reverse engineer... remember that one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:52 am 

Car Model:
The '69 air cleaner is not unsilenced, and the thermostatic air cleaner is better for performance (not just emissions). The slant-6 BBD works great on pre-emission 225s. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
No, I don't suppose I need to do it... :mrgreen:

Post subject: aWHOOOOga! aWHOOOOOga!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:57 am 

Car Model:
Want to start with a bigger-than-slant-6, non-emissions BBD? Here's your carb. Brand new! Trucks and vans had bigger jets and no step-up restrictors. And it's even already in Canada, so no transborder charges. Hurry, only 11 hours left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:09 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
:shock: 6316sa...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:17 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
:shock: 6316sa...

???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:41 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
is that not a good Carter number? According to the page, it's on the tag...