Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Next round of questions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:11 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Well, we made lots of progress this weekend. Got most everything back into the engine bay. Now, I need a little help with a few items...

Is this the correct location for this ground wire?

Where do the wires route on this side of the engine? Do they go along here with the heater hoses, or below them?

What does this brace on the dipstick bolt to?

What do these two large black connectors and the eyelet mount to?

I'll have more questions for you as we button this thing up.

Thanks for any input,
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The dipstick brace bolts to the throttle spring and kickdown linkage bracket, which is secured to the underside of the two outboard intake-to-exhaust manifold bolts.

The wires in your last picture appear to be part of the factory A/C system. That flat 2-prong connector will likely find a home on an A/C clutch-cycling or binary-pressure switch.

The wires that come off the firewall and around the corner of the rocker cover are actually held to the firewall by screwed-on J-clips (or, on some cars, "finger" clips that look like the ones on the distributor side of the rocker cover).

I would comment on your first photo but I can't get a frame of reference. Where is this? What's the view?

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:27 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Hey Jerry,
I'm about 6,000 miles from any of my Slanted cars, so I won't be of much help on the routing and attaching of things.

The one thing I noticed that Dan didn't mention... On all of your ground wires, make sure you remove some paint where the wire meets the grounding surface so you get a good ground. Those little pesky problems can be a real frustration.

It sure must feel good to be putting it back together!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:36 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Dan, I think I have the A/C already taken care of with another wire. Our little makeshift tags you see on the wires refer to what I called (in my ignorance two years ago) "choke heater". Unfortunately, at the time we did not label where the eyelet goes. The first photo is taken from the driver's side looking over the top of the battery tray at the front clip. You can see the transmission cooler on the right.

Rob, good idea about the grounding wires. And yes, it is a VERY good feeling getting this car put back together. Aaron is beginning to get very excited.

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:36 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Jerry, the ground eyelet from that wire harness (last pic) goes to the bolt that holds down the cylindrical vacuum switch (has to do with the EGR, I think) to the cylinder head. The braided ground wire from the firewall usually goes there too.

As for the two wire connector, it goes to the little cylindrical vacuum switch that mounts in between the No. 5 intake/exhaust runners. This switch has two electrical connections side by side and has a vacuum port that connects to the vacuum amplifier.

Last edited by ET's_Swinger on Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:16 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

I don't have a problem with that... the correct location isn't a big deal in terms of functionality as long as it's a good connection. I'm used to seeing a ground wire on either side of the rad support where the headlamp harness passes through. Looks good to me.