Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:31 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
cat-a-log-oo??? im having trouble sounding that one out. what that dan? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:38 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Dan, is there something you don't know about?
LOTS of stuff I don't know anything about. Plenty of stuff I know only enough about to get into trouble.

For example, I don't know why anyone would voluntarily drive a Ford. ;-)
Quote:
what about that Danzilla thing... I am one of the new kids and don't know that part of you.
Neither do I...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
Quote:
What type of supplier are you guys shopping with that would have these products? Apparently, you don't find it at Wal-mart. I would also like to ask around to see if I can find some locally.

Jerry
A good place to start is

www.mcmaster.com

They'll ask you for a company, but they'll gladly sell to individuals to and send stuff to your home... I usually throw 'em a bone and give em my company name anyway, just so they know I buy a lot of industrial stuff for werk, too. They are always courteous and ship instantly, even if your purchase is miniscule. They have a lot more raw material stuff than Grainger. Enjoy!

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:24 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
For any car thing I need I rather go to the furthest Autozone in town than to the closest WalMart. (Even though WalMart sometimes is cheaper). We have a huge Grainger in town, never been there... will pay them a visit soon.
Quote:
See if you can get a catalog from them. Its about a thousand pages long, no Im not exaggerating.
Quote:
A good place to start is

www.mcmaster.com

They have a lot more raw material stuff than Grainger. Enjoy!

D/W

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:02 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
... and what about that Danzilla thing... I am one of the new kids and don't know that part of you. Sounds scary :twisted:
Ed
It IS scary... and annoying :mrgreen:

heheheh gotta love my good ole buddy Dan.

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject: breaking news
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:28 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
my mileage in town (with some urban highway) has improved 10%. Gonna go offtown today and see what happens on the open road.

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:24 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
It IS scary... and annoying :mrgreen:
Please tell me how NOT to wake him up... :?

Juan, was that economy improvement due to the spacer in the carb...?

Eduardo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:03 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hola eduardo

that mileage boost was exclusively due to carb spacer, since I didn't fiddled with anything else beyond installing that thing.

Today I drove 680 km, crusing between 140-160 km/h (85-100 mph) and my average fuel consumption was 14,5 L /100 km or 6.9km/L (6.12 gallons per 100 miles or 16.33 mpg). My previous numbers was below 14 mpg on the same trip. I have to say that is a country style old fashined two way route, not a highway. This kinda driving is harder to do (meaning that it puts the car into more stress) especially when you find that it's harvest time and the road is full of trucks. Lots of full throttle for surpassing those trucks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:20 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Gracias Juan, I think I can use the extra economy with the spacer, fuel consumption in my Baby is killing me :( . I drive it 40 km (25 miles) every day on the express way, not a lot of stress for the car, and it is giving me around 5 km/l (11 mpg).

I have no idea of how the spacer affects economy... can you explain the principle.

Saludos,

Eduardo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:31 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
I drive it 40 km (25 miles) every day on the express way, not a lot of stress for the car, and it is giving me around 5 km/l (11 mpg).
You should be getting almost double this, with an engine and all equipment in good condition (ignition, carburetion, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:30 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
You should be getting almost double this, with an engine and all equipment in good condition (ignition, carburetion, etc.).
:shock: Now, that would be amazing... just can't do it :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:36 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Hola Eduardo

first thing, I double cheched your #'s about mileage and it seems you rounded down some figures. I'll say you're getting 12 mpg on the highway. That would be considered bad, but you'll have to answer some q's, does it burns oil? how are your comp numbers? which kinda ignition sistem are you using? wich carburetor? wich kinda gas?

I don't know why the carb spacer made that diffrence. I'd like to fantasize but I'm taking the more rational explanation one can come up with: I sealed a vacuum leak AND I got rid of hot gas boiling in the fuel bowl and spurting inside the carb. That would be my most realistic explanation about this. I didn't even changed my timing or carb jet.

I'll say that the best mileage I got outta a slant six was 22mpg cruisin but the car had manual trans. I never got anything better than 19 mpg on an auto trans slant powered car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:42 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Qué onda Juan, well my Slant does consume oil, lots of it... it is very tired now, and I am trying to get the most of it.

It has a Holley 1945 and electronic ignition (it is a '74). I think I could get a little more milage if I can get my timing to work right... oh boy, I just can't figure it out yet... :?

I replaced my spark plugs with the ones that Dan recommended and they helped a lot... I will install the spacer and check for any vaccum leaks.

I will keep trying and keep you posted.

Saludos Ché!!!

Eduardo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:29 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
argentina-slantsixer Thanks for sending me the diagram of your spacer. It didn't occur to me when I asked for it, but I have a Carter BBD. So my gasket is shapped much different.
I was looking at mine yesterday. I noticed a cracked line comming from the charcoal canister back to the carb. I wasn't intending to actually play around with the carb, but I put my hand on the carb to get my balance and noticed it moving. The gasket was compressing and the nuts holding it down would move. It may have been letting air in below. I took the four nuts and the gasket off. I'm still working on a diagram for the gasket and have enough Delrin to make about 10, 1/4 inch spacers if I do it right the first time. If I get it to work, would anyone like one? I might also be able to make the smaller one with argentina-slantsixer's plans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:55 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Hey Ice Titan

if you want I can send you diagrams for your carter BBD. just let me know wich size are the throats.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next