Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: K&N oil filter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:46 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Anybody try one of these yet?From what I have heard these are being used on many forms of race cars,including Nascar.

They have a anti-drainback valve which eliminates dry starts by preventing oil from draining back into crackcase during engine shutdown.

They also have a 1" wrench nut on the top for easy removal and install.

Yes No Maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:50 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Most of your other oil fliters (Wix, Fr@m, Pourolator0 have drainback valves on them also they are required on some engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
All name-brand filters designed for use in applications requiring antidrainback valves, have antidrainback valves.

Race car filtration needs are considerably different from street car filtration needs. "Used on race cars!" is not a reason to use a filter.

Given the amount of lying K&N does to sell their silly air filters, I surely don't trust their oil filters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:31 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
K&N filters are used world wide.By racers who demand the best quality parts available.

From the Daytona 500 to the Baja 500.

I hardly would call that silly. :?

JZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:10 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Save your money and get either a Napa Gold (made by Wix) or Purolator filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:26 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
K&N filters are used world wide.By racers who demand the best quality parts available.
...and those same racers rebuild their engines every season. "Used on race cars!" does not suggest that any particular part or product is suitable for street use.

And there's a lot more to pro racers' part selection than just what's best for their particular needs. Sponsorship plays an equal or greater role.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Dan: Your passion for/against certain products rivals the hype you claim from the manufacturers. I doubt there is any difference one way or another between any of these filters on a slant. I have never had an oil filter of any kind fail with the exception of a factory Volvo filter over 30 years ago(defective rubber seal ring).

How do you separate hype from fact on the products you sell? Do you independently test them all? Do you just read articles on the internet?

I design, build and test for 5 years everything I sell. I would not venture an opinion on anything I had not tried or tested for 5 years myself. At least Johnny Z was asking questions and researching,,,,try answering with real world experience instead of referring to bombastic websites.

To actually answer Johnnys question: No I havent tried a K&N filter. Yes I find the 1" nut on the end interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:54 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
...and those same racers rebuild their engines every season. "Used on race cars!" does not suggest that any particular part or product is suitable for street use.

Agreed. Years ago, I knew "stock eliminator racers", who whould run 2 1/2 qts of straight 5 weight oil, to gain a couple more horses. Would you do that on a street car?
Quote:
And there's a lot more to pro racers' part selection than just what's best for their particular needs. Sponsorship plays an equal or greater role.
I had some parts on my Stock eliminator car, to collect contingency money. The rules didn't say they parts had to be connected, just had to be on the car. Rules said stock ignition, could upgrade to OEM electronic. MSD required their ign. box, but did not say it had to be wired up and operational. I ran headers, with open exhaust, but Thrush paid, because I had one of their mufflers hanging under the car, even, though there was no pipes connected to it.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:17 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Dan: Your passion for/against certain products
That's sweet of you to say, Sandy. I'm a parts geek, guilty as charged. :-D
Quote:
rivals the hype you claim from the manufacturers.
Science and fact trump opinion and marketeering in my book...every time. It's one of the main reasons I do not watch television. (Besides, sometimes ya gotta fight fie-yuh, with fie-yuh!)
Quote:
I doubt there is any difference one way or another between any of these filters on a slant.
OK, then use whatever filter you feel like using, and be happy. Me, I've never subscribed to the "Aw, it's just a worthless ol' slant-6, so any ol' piece of junk'll work fine" philosophy. I prefer to use quality products and parts, and since advertisers cannot be relied upon to tell the truth, I spend time and effort discovering which products and parts are good, and which aren't.
Quote:
How do you separate hype from fact on the products you sell? Do you independently test them all?
As a matter of fact, I do, and I make the raw data available to anyone who wants it, as well as a complete technical library to help them understand it. But this is a thread about oil filters, which I don't sell.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:24 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Save your money and get either a Napa Gold (made by Wix) or Purolator filter.
Those are good suggestions.

More discussion and another good/inexpensive filter option Here.

Post subject: A little off topic.....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:38 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I've wondered: Does anybody else run a short filter? I do because I have a short stand pipe that came on the '73 engine in my '72 Satellite (which had a tall pipe which ment running tall filters). I also ran a short filter in my late '70 Fury (with both the original 383 and later the '72 400). Never had a problem, though I do 3K oil changes. Besides less filtering area and a pint less oil, any problems with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:05 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I dont think there is any problem with that, but is there any reason you can not use a long filter with the short pipe?
I guess the long filter would keep the bypass closed a bit more, so the filter filters a bit more?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:08 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
I've wondered: Does anybody else run a short filter? I do because I have a short stand pipe that came on the '73 engine in my '72 Satellite (which had a tall pipe which ment running tall filters).
You can use short, tall or REALLY tall filters with the short standpipe.
You can use tall or REALLY tall filters with the tall standpipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:55 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Eric,I think you kind of hit the nail on the head by saying less filter area and a pint less oil. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I've wondered: Does anybody else run a short filter? I do because I have a short stand pipe that came on the '73 engine in my '72 Satellite (which had a tall pipe which ment running tall filters). I also ran a short filter in my late '70 Fury (with both the original 383 and later the '72 400). Never had a problem, though I do 3K oil changes. Besides less filtering area and a pint less oil, any problems with this?
I use short filters. Never had a problem. I do my oil changes every 3 months no matter how many miles I put on the car. I always use an AF4 Molykote in adition. I use 15w-40 good quality oil. On the last change I decided to try sinthetic 5w-40 oil. I'm happy with it. Oil pressure raises quicker and engine is quieter while warming up. I gotta say that It's kinda noisier when cruisin at hard throttle openings for long periods, but still the lubrication is fine (I get more rocker arm assy flow)

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.