Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:43 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 62 Lancer GT
Is anyone running 2 oxygen sensors? If so are you using 2 gauges or 1 with some type of switch?

62 Lancer GT
B Body 8 3/4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:55 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
One gauge, two sensors here. I use a 3-pole toggle switch to alternate between reading the front and rear 'banks'. Sensors are installed right after the collectors of 3x2 clifford headers. They seem to take about 30 seconds to a minute to heat up and begin reading properly.

One wire O2 sensors -- wire from each sensor runs to the outer poles on the switch, then a single wire from the center pole to the gauge. As would be expected, I have not noticed much of a difference between the front 3 and rear 3 cylinders. But, I should add that I have not yet played with it much. I have maybe 200 miles on the truck since I installed the gauge & sensors.

Hope that helps....

-S/6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:22 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I have a narrow band O2 sensor for the ECU, and a wide band sensor for a gauge. The gauge is for tuning only. It has allowed me to dial in the fuel map very precisely. Go to lambdaboy.com to see the info on the O2 gauge I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
We can't find "lambdaboy.com"

Post subject: O2 sensor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:50 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
What does an O2 sensor do anyway? (besides test the amount of 02)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:12 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I need an exhaust analyzer to check / reset the propane mix on my truck. Anyone know who makes/ sells them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:14 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
An O2 sensor tests the concentration of O2 gas in your exhaust and puts out a voltage that is related to this concentration and so to how well your engine is burning fuel. It gives you a measure of how rich or lean your engine is running. VERY useful for tuning, even with carburetors.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:33 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I must have mispelled lambdaboy. Try some others, and I will look this up in the mean time. I suppose they could be out of business by now, but I kind of doubt it. It was sort of a hobby enterprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:10 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Yep, you are right. The spelling is correct, and the web site is not working. When I did a search, the web site shows up, but can't be found when clicked on. Maybe they are reworking their web site, and plan on getting back on line soon. I will look and see if I have any literature with a phone number, or e-mail address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:41 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 62 Lancer GT
Thanks for the info. Do you think going thru the switch could throw off the readings at all?

62 Lancer GT
B Body 8 3/4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
I need an exhaust analyzer to check / reset the propane mix on my truck. Anyone know who makes/ sells them?
I dont know how I missed this; Impco, Nova and Gastec all sell good analysers; Gastec sells the "sniffer" wheatstone bridge style analyser that detects proper idle mixture and is the cheapest of them all by far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:35 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Do you think going thru the switch could throw off the readings at all?
It shouldn't. An O2 sensor produces a voltage that's proportional to O2 concentration. Its like a small battery with a very large internal resistance- what throws its reading "off" is putting too much load on it. Any meter that you read an O2 sensor with should have a very high input impedance. Since a high input impedance means that virtually no current is flowing into the meter, that means that no current is flowing through the switch.. So even if the switch is imperfect, it should still convey the correct voltage to the meter because the meter's impedance is even higher than the switch's resistance.

[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:59 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
a battery? :?

Are o2 sensors not more of a generator or thermocouple? The two extra wires on a heated sensor are just there for closed loop operation, there is never any power going back into the sensor to charge it up or anything...

as far as I know, the power generated is very small. So poor connections or resistance in the circuit will throw the readings off. Ive always tested them by checking the voltage coming out of the lead wire when hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:28 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
a battery? :?

Are o2 sensors not more of a generator or thermocouple?

Ive always tested them by checking the voltage coming out of the lead wire when hot.
You kinda answerd your own question there. A thermocouple like a temp sensor works by varying resistance, you'd test one by measuring resistance. An o2 sensor, as you stated, is tested by measuring volts, therefore more related to a battery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:38 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I don't think so. A thermocouple generates a small amount of electricity in response to heat. If two wires of different materials are joined at their ends and one end is maintained at a higher temperature than the other, a voltage difference will arise, and an electric current will exist between the hot and the cold junctions. It's called the Seebeck effect. I think they use platinum and platinum/rhodium? as the two metals of choice.

I cant recall how oxygen sensors work but it also has to do with the reaction of dissimilar metals to each other under heat to create a voltage. So it isn't like a battery at all, It creates, not stores energy.