Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I've begun talks with Cometic about making a head gasket for the slant-6. These guys work with a gasket technology known to fix bimetal engine sealing problems "all the way fixed" (MLS, Multi Layer Steel), which I'm thinking would be a nice update from the stone age copper-and-asbestos "spray it with Copper Cote and pray hard*" gasket.

Of course, there's very little market for a gasket that's only applicable to an engine they only made 50,000 copies of, over four decades ago. That's why it's such a good thing that the aluminum engine's special head gasket can be used on the iron block (you just can't go the other way around).

My '61, '62 and '63 FSMs are in storage far from here, so I can't look up the specs. What are the uninstalled and installed thicknesses of the aluminum engine head gasket? 0.040" stands out in my mind, but it's been so long since I looked at the spec, I don't trust my recollection.

I think the idea would be to try and get two variants made: One with a 3.44" bore (max bore on an aluminum RG block) and one with a 3.5" bore (max practical bore on an iron block). These Cometic MLS gaskets are the pick amongst the guys who run really hairy turbo 2.2/2.5 engines; they're reputed to work and last.

(* Of course, if this project doesn't get anywhere, we'll just have to do asbestos we can with the old ones...!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:47 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Is it possible to use solid copper gaskets on the Al engine?

Sorry, I don't have the Al head gasket thickness. I know the stock iron one is 0.020-0.022" compressed. I am very interested in this project since I just bought an Al block and have lines on a couple more.

Most of the iron-block gaskets I've seen are 3.5" bore - Felpro is my standby.

Lou

Post subject: compressed thickness
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:39 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan my 62 service manual states .022 compressed gasket thickness, it does not mention any special thickness for the AL engine, it has 2 pages of differences before the spec page, but only states that the newly created copper/asbestos gasket (for the AL engine) needs the mopar perfect seal compound part #1057794. Hope that helps, is your fsm different than the red service manual I have? Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:59 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Pretty sure it is .04 thick. I just threw out my old Al gasket and installed a new one on my rebuild. I swear when I miked it it was .04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:20 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Factory Alm. head gaskets are .045 thick.
If you are going to design and make them "new", try to get them thinner.
There is some good technical information on the Alm. head gasket design in the SAE paper on the Alm SL6. That gasket had different thicknesses in different areas to get the clamping forces needed to seal compression vs oil press vs coolent vs crankcase vapor.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:15 am 

Car Model:
Thanks, Doug. I have that SAE paper around here somewhere (everything's filed under "miscellaneous"). I've got plenty of time to do the homework; Cometic says "We're too busy right now with backed-up projects, please check back with us this fall".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:28 am 

Car Model:
Please keep us updated, Dan. I'm about to get involved in at least one aluminum engine...

Thanks again,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:11 am 

Car Model:
Dan,

I just checked out Cometic's website and it does seem you've picked the right folks.

I am fixin' to get into aluminum engines in a bigger way, so I am even more interested in this project. I could commit to buying at least 3-4 gaskets right off the bat if they do a run, more depending on price. I think I know some others interested, and we could collect a committed order number to urge them along. I'd say at least 15 gaskets should be no problem, probably more...

I have a line on 2-3 more blocks to add to my one in house.

Thanks again for working on this and let me know if I can help.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:28 am 

Car Model:
Lou, I wonder if it might push them towards being persuaded if we got multiple people asking them for this gasket.

I'm about to leave (in 7 days!) for Germany and Switzerland, so I can't do anything with this right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:13 am 

Car Model:
No worries. I'll try to give them a call.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:51 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Sorry to chime in on something I know little about, but I remember some questions awhile back concerning trying to find better head designs for the Slant 6.

One of the recent Mopar Muscle or MCG magazines had an article about the Aussie 'Hemi' 6 and made some comparisons and stated that it was partially based on the American Slant 6. The article also mentioned a company that is now producing aluminum heads for that motor.

Would that be a potential fit for the Slant 6?

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:37 pm 

Car Model:
Zero design commonality or parts interchange between the D-engine (Australian Hemi-6) and the G-engine (slant). The article you read was mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:05 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Dan, I have one good running alum. slant and a spare one I think is repairable if I have the head gasket. Hope your project works out ,I`m in the market for some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:25 pm 

Car Model:
Call or e-mail Cometic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I'd love to get an aluminium block... how much weight does that saves?
what measures I have to take in order to find out if I can get away with argentinian made cranks, conn rods, pistons ad head? I'm asking cuz an al block ain't that heavy (for shipping figures) but when you start to add cast iron... it sky rockets the shipping price.

In another delirious matter, I'd love to have an alum head. Do you think that CNCing it is possible? What kinda shape would be better for combustion chambers? (i really don't understand completely this thing about the shape of chambers... but I'm willing to learn :lol: would somebody point me in the right direction besides going to ·$&$·%$·$·(%&·%&)

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.