Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:49 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I put the Pertronix in my '64 V-200 about 10/12 years ago and haven't had any problems from it at all.
Never having to set your points is heaven, and I like the closer-to-stock look. Everything fits under the stock dizzy cap except for 2 extra wires to the coil.
At 1st I ran the stock coil, but now have the Accell SuperStock (chrome) and it works great! I called the factory about using that coil and they said it was designed for that.
A small BTW about hi-output coils, to get the full advantage of the hotter spark you need to open the spark plug gap up. I run .045. This combo makes for a noticable difference. Easier starts, less bog at the throttle, more jump when passing, and at least a couplethree mpgs.
The *only* problem with my Pertronix is the magnet collar that fits on the rotor doesn't fit right on the newer replacement rotors. I just sparked up the contacts on the old one and used it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:24 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
James, if you're running both a Pertronix and an MSD box, the Pertronix is just a trigger with very little current running through it. Using a Pertronix to trigger a high performance coil directly can expose it to more current. If you're using an Ignitor to trigger an MSD or other capacitive discharge type ignition, it shouldn't be a problem. (Of course, you will want to match the coil to the external box!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:53 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
true matt, you're absolutely right. still, i recently used the same distributor to drive a mallory promaster coil for a little over a month in town and a couple of road trips with no troubles. glad i didn't fry it, it's a nice reliable setup. mr. klunk makes a good point on the rotor not fitting the magnet collar as mine was a tad loose. a dab of rtv seemed to hold things fine without being too permanent.

-james

Post subject: for sale
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:04 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I have a pertronix unit that I installed on the distributor, but have not installed in the car. I have decided to go with a mopar electronic conversion. I believe I still have the box and instructions also. I'll sale the unit plus the distributor, minus the cap and rotor for $65. I bought the distributor brand new from Advance Auto parts less than a year ago. If you want just the pertronix unit I'll sale it for $50. You can email me a duke761@sbcglobal.net