Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Electric fan sensor Q
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:59 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Hey there. I've been running my twin electrofan setup for almost a year. I have to say that I'm quite happy. I do have a questiong, though: is out there some slanter who may have drilled and tapped the side of the water neck for placing the sensor there? I'm asking cuz I'm running my sensor on a T adapter I welded and installed splicing the top rad hose. I wonder if placing the sensor so near the head and 1st ex port and ssurrounded by all that heavy heat retaining cast iron mass would negatively affect the sensor's capability of discerning the correct kick in/out range.

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Get an adjustable sensor and it really doesn't matter..............

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:59 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Adjustable sensor? I wish we had these down there... I'm affraid I'm stuck with plain ole sensors.... inless you can tell me wich maker would have adjustable sensor as a reposition part (I mean, wich cars comes with adjustable sensors)

Thank you!

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:26 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yes, drilling and tapping the thermostat housing works. Doug Dutra's done it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:05 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
:oops:
May I have an opinion?
The right and best place for a sensor is the bottom of the radiator, my english isn´t to good, may take some time to explaine.
Sorry!

Holley 600 Offy-5270 Dutra Dual,regrind. cam 272 0,420 110, head shaved 0.100 slight.ported
MSD6A
A904
7 1/4 3.23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:28 pm 

Car Model:
I disagree with your opinion. The bottom of the radiator is the wrong place for the sensor; in that location it measures the temperature of the coolant leaving the radiator. That's interesting info when compared to the top tank (inlet) temperatures, if you're trying to figure out how good your radiator is, but if you're trying to calibrate an electric fan, then you need to measure the temperature of the coolant leaving the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:35 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
What took you so long?
The important thing is to get "cool" water into the engine from the radiator, then you dont want to check the temperature of the water that comes out of the engine, that the thermostat takes care off.

Holley 600 Offy-5270 Dutra Dual,regrind. cam 272 0,420 110, head shaved 0.100 slight.ported
MSD6A
A904
7 1/4 3.23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:46 pm 

Car Model:
Putting the fan sensor in the bottom tank means the engine will get hotter before the fan comes on.

Post subject: sensor location
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:12 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
i disagree. i put my sensor at the bottom hose and the fan only came on when all the coolant was at the same temp. this prevented the fan from coming on while moving as there was always "cool" water coming out of the radiator. most cars i have seen with electric fans usually had the fan switch in the bottom tank.

on my car with the 26" radiator it takes a good half hour of idling to make the gauge even get to half. it takes driving at 15-20 mph for about 5 minutes to get it to cool down.

zedpapa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:00 pm 

Car Model:
Sorry, I was thinking entirely of aftermarket electric fan setups—not factory setups. There may be some factory setups with bottom-tank sensors. But all the aftermarket setups I've seen have been designed for top-tank (or engine water outlet) installation. That's also how Chrysler's always done it on their factory electric fan installations (sensor in the water outlet area on the cylinder head or intake manifold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:13 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Really you're discussing about nothing. It's a matter of choice. I like having the sensonr ontop cuz I have some raised comp and raised comp causes the "upper" half of the engine to run hotter. Also, if you're wise enough with the sensor range, is about the same. Of course, if you install a top hosed sensor with a bottom hose temp range your fan will be almost constanlty on, but if you install a higer temp rate sensor on the outlet is the same. I like to do my modifications kinda respecting each makers' philosophy, so I went with the sensor on the outlet (dan has pointed that out for me).

I haven't finished my project piece yet. I have the waterneck drilled and I lined a thin brass coupler to get the most sensitive part of the sensor really dipped into the water instead of getting referred heat from the cast iron housing. I have to braze it and test it. I'll post my progress soon!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:40 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
If you put it on the top you get a much "smaller" range, and its harder to calibrate, but as you said its a matter of personal choice. No hard feelings Dan.

MSD6A
A904
7 1/4 3.23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
here's the monster

I'll install it tomorrow. Sckraeken is right, calibrating the fan with the sensor ontop takes more work.,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:31 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
OK I installed it. Runs better in the waterneck than in the T I had fabbed. My sensor kicks in @ 92ºC and out @ 87ºC. Narrow range but keeps the engine cool and the water measured at the top tank @ 88ºC (very steady)