Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: weird noises?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:03 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
so I've got a 225 in a '70 Dart Custom. It still runs like it always has, but now it makes these weird noises. I've been told that it's the crankshaft 'moving' and that the bottom end of the engine is going to 'give out'. The thing is though the person who told me that just listened to it, and frankly didn't seem like the most knowledgable guy and maybe even was just trying to get me to fork over cash so I'd pay him to get a rebuilt one and put it in (he was a mechanic at a shady place).

So, if all that stuff with the crankshaft is happening, wouldn't it run poorly? It's been like this for a while (I haven't been driving it except every other week) and it still fires right up and runs just as well as when I got it.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:27 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Need a lot more info. What's this noise sound like? Don't be bashful; the silliest-to-type descriptions are best. Does it go "NukNukNuk!" or "ThunkThunkThunk" or "RapRapRap" or "SlackSlackSlack" or...? Does the noise increase in frequency if you rev-up the engine? DOes it always happen? Sometimes? Only hot, only cold? In Neutral or Park only? In any gear?

Could be the crankshaft. Could be the fuel pump. Could be the flex plate. More info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:17 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
an occasional slight dull thud (like striking a thin metal rod on a brick wall maybe) and also slight 'scraping' noises.

As far as 'when', it seems to do it always, faster or slower, the sounds themselves don't seem to get faster or slower with the engine... maybe just a little bit. Also, when the car's cold and I put it in gear it does slip a bit before it catches, but there's no noise with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:26 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Does it still do it if you pull the oil dipstick out of its tube?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:42 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
...after you check the dipstick as the source of emanation, check the dust cover on the bottom front of the transmission bellhousing. Sometimes these things get bent and hit the torque converter as it spins within.

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:53 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
an occasional slight dull thud (like striking a thin metal rod on a brick wall maybe) and also slight 'scraping' noises.
My engine had that sound when I bought the car, the "valvetrain axel"(?)
was upside down and put in the wrong direction, so the oil didnt get to the right places.

Holley 600 Offy-5270 Dutra Dual,regrind. cam 272 0,420 110, head shaved 0.100 slight.ported
MSD6A
A904
7 1/4 3.23