Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 1920 brass floats
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:56 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hey there guys

finally I tracked down those brass floats for 1920's.

pic:

top quality. comes with matching rod. Price is US $ 12 each or US $ 9 each for more than 20 units.

E-mail me or PM me or just post here so if there's anybody interested I can get shipping figures. Would be lot more cheaper if one person takes care of receiving the goods up there and redistribute it.

Just let me know.

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:14 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
H'mmm...don't think so. That float looks set up for a vertical inlet needle and seat that screws into the carburetor downward from the top -- see the horizontal tab near the hinge point? This looks like a float for the older Holley 1904/1908 (some of which came with glass float bowls) which did use just such a vertical needle/seat arrangement.

The 1920 uses a horizontal inlet needle and seat that screws into the carburetor from the passenger side, so the float has a vertical tab on it.

Please trim down that photo, man, it's enormous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:04 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Argentina, I have to concur with Dan. I just now pulled the float from one of the 1904's that I have, and it's an exact match to the pic that you posted. Those will NOT interchange into the 1920 Holley.

Either something changed in the transition from the U.S. to Argentina, or sombody's trying to sucker you.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:16 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Pic resized

about the compatibility, as you may note in this closeup, this float works either with 1904/08 and 1920 due to its arm having the tab to close the needle from the left side or from the top.

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:55 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Pic resized
Tanks...
Quote:
about the compatibility, as you may note in this closeup, this float works either with 1904/08 and 1920 due to its arm having the tab to close the needle from the left side or from the top.
Mmmmnope, still don't think so. The vertical tab would have to be above the hinge point to work in a 1920. With it below, it would tend to close the inlet needle valve when the float drops, and open the needle valve when the float rises——opposite of what's needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:55 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
maybe I took the picture on the wrong hemisphere... is upside down (the float) otherwise you can't explain how the vertical closing plate would actuate from underneath the arm.... :lol:

Look, I'm gonna try to find a 1920 (unfortunately I don't own any) and tace a picture of the brass float in it so you guys can see that fits. I've used this kinda floats in 1920's before. That would involve bothering some friends whom are accustomed both to be bothered and to bother in such ocassions, and a couple of days that may extend to another couple of days.