Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Italian tuneup
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:55 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
BG 44K or Chevron Techron Concentrate are the only two bottled gookums worth messing with to clean up the combustion chambers without removing the head. The technique is to add one or the other (my preference is for 44k) to a tank of fuel. If serious cleanup is needed, add two bottles/cans. Drive around normally until the tank's almost empty, then go out on the highway, get up to 65 or 70 mph, find an uphill section, shift into 2nd gear and nail the gas. You'll see a great cloud of brown crud fly out the tailpipe. When it stops, shift back to Drive and cruise for awhile. Repeat a few times. Then head home and replace the spark plugs. This "Italian Tuneup" sounds crude and silly, but you can get rid of a lot of combustion chamber carbon that way.
Is there any chance of messing up the engine this way? Damaged rocker arms? Does nail the gas mean put the pedal to the floor? I want to get my engine clean, but I can afford to kill the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:56 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Throttle plates on my carb are completely closed when idling.... I drilled them with the proper size drillbit cuz my idle needles wont kill the engine fully closed.

For cleaning combustion chambers, I have a "more" italian procedure, only that in order to use it you have to hate your neighbours and they hate you back... and goes like this:

Start the car and warm it up
lock the throttle so the car gives 3000 rpm "idle" speed
slowly pour drops of water or auto trans fluid into the barrel/s of your carb. do not pour it fast or your car will stall.

The only thing more italian that this is mario bros and spaghetti with meatballs and sauce :D

Me, personally, go for a Liqui-Molly (or something like that) german stuff that works great and I even get to nail the gas more than I do...

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject: Re: Italian tuneup
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
(Italian Tuneup)
Is there any chance of messing up the engine this way? Damaged rocker arms?
No.
Quote:
Does nail the gas mean put the pedal to the floor?
Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:01 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
...The air passages in the throttle butterflies were drilled out so the blades could be closed and still allow the correct amount of air to pass at idle....

(the needles fully closed won't kill the engine so...)
To correct this problem, McLendon removed the carburetor from the engine and unbolted the baseplate. He clamped the baseplate in a vise and drilled out their stock-size air holes in the butterflies from 0.093 to 0.149 inch. This increased the airflow going into the engine at idle, and allowed him to mechanically adjust the butterflies with the idle adjustment screw to close farther, reducing the amount of fuel available from the transfer slots. Now the engine could be properly adjusted at idle using the idle-mixture screws

Source: http://circletrack.com/techarticles/84218

I have my carb set up this way and not only works great but eases the transition between the 1st-2nd circuits to the mains. (idle - idle transfer slot to primaries)

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:30 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
BG 44K or Chevron Techron Concentrate are the only two bottled gookums worth messing with to clean up the combustion chambers without removing the head. The technique is to add one or the other (my preference is for 44k) to a tank of fuel. If serious cleanup is needed, add two bottles/cans. Drive around normally until the tank's almost empty, then go out on the highway, get up to 65 or 70 mph, find an uphill section, shift into 2nd gear and nail the gas. You'll see a great cloud of brown crud fly out the tailpipe. When it stops, shift back to Drive and cruise for awhile. Repeat a few times. Then head home and replace the spark plugs. This "Italian Tuneup" sounds crude and silly, but you can get rid of a lot of combustion chamber carbon that way.
The final step in the heavy "Shock Treatment" using Techron should include changing the oil and filter to get the combustion chamber carbon that passed the rings as blow-by out of the crankcase too. So it's a good idea to perform the treatment when you are ready to change oil.