Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:54 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I am new to your forum. I am a classic car nut. i have always dabbled in chevys though cause mopars were always just too expensive to play with. I have always wanted a GTX though since I was a kid but got a 71 Nova SS which I still own to this day. All of that aside I have decided that I am almost 30 and its time to get into the Mopar madness. I recently bought a 64 Plymouth Valiant. I know NOTHING about Mopars. I know this it has a slant 6 and push button automatic and only has 71000 actual miles on it. I am going to give it a good tune up and new paint and custom interior and I cant wait, but as all of you probably already know its not much on power. I don't want to change the engine cause its original to the car, however I do want to raise kain when I feel the need for speed. I have always been told that a 6 can whip an 8 if properly built. I don't want a drag car but I do want it to sling rubber on command. i'm stupid about the motor don't even know the cubic inches can someone please help me to get Mopar smart and give some tip to build a haulin, screamin /6. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:08 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
Swapping motors is not gonna detract from the value of a '64 plymouth Valiant. You already stated you plan to change the paint and interior, so why worry if the motor is original to the car? No one cares! A small-block V8 (273-360) is a fairly simple proposition and a lot more tire-smokin' fun thean you'll ever get with the /6. I you truly want to be different, however, /6 is the way to go and you will find all the help you need here. Do some archive searches, and don't let anyone talk you into a stinkin' holley four-barrel! :lol: Carter designed four-barrel is the only way to go! :idea: 8)

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:06 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
:lol: Carter designed four-barrel is the only way to go! :idea: 8)

D/W
:lol: ahhahaha

ok anyways, to do a v8 swap is going to be a 'project' for you, first you will have to find the engine :shock: duh lol and choose which v8 you want small block (273-360) or big block (400-440) then you will have to choose a transmision auto or manual, probably the most popular auto is the 727 3 speed fallowed by the 904, then the manual trans is a a833 4 speed, some with overdrive others without. next you will have to choose a rear end cause your lil 7 1\4 wont stand up to this big v8(this is what holds me up on my v8 swap i dont wanna changed the rear) anyways you can use alot of v8 rearends but it needs to be an abody rear, you can choose from 8 1/4, 8 3/4 or the huge dana 60 :lol: :o 9 3/4 i believe (correct if wrong) also you are gonna have to beef up your supsention, swap a different set of rims on and a brake upgrade(disc) and if needed you might prefer power brakes along with power steering

there is alot of work going onto a v8 swap cause it isnt like a chevy :shock: so think it over and decide v8 or \6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:17 pm 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
...or big block...
Big-block is a difficult row to hoe in a '64 A-body. Small block is a relatively simple bolt in. There's no need for a trans bigger than a 904 in a Valiant.

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:00 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'd keep the six myself. the awe factor is higher when you take 'em at the light.

first I'd say decide on your budget for build ups, then we can tell you what is cost effective. Things can get pricey up grading a sixer

dave

Post subject: I agree with dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:31 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
The awe factor is definately higher I think to leaving the /6 in place. Did some home work and its a 225. Still dont know bout the push button tranny.
Now can I get a clifford intake and headers with a 4bbl without doing any head work or upgrading the cam and pistons/pushrods. My budget looks like its gonna be around 1000 to 1500 dollars for the drivetrain. Let me know if I can make this happen or if i am wasting my time with the /6. Like I said I want the awe factor of a screamin 6
\
I really appreciate you guy's input

Post subject: Re: I agree with dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:25 pm 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
Now can I get a clifford intake and headers with a 4bbl without doing any head work or upgrading the cam and pistons/pushrods
...sure you can, but it won't be worth the effort without a better cam at the bare minimum.

Your trans is a 904, by the way.

D/W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Quote:
............ Still dont know bout the push button tranny.

Once you get used to it, they're great...... :D

I actually prefer it over a column shift. (I'd probably take a floor shift over the pushbutton though........)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:37 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
The pushbutton trans is a 904, just with a cable shifter instead of the later levers. Keep it! It's very distinctive. I love the way the pushbuttons blend into the them of the dash, including the heater knobs and radio buttons

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:45 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
And it's really fun watching the kid at the tire store sitting dumbfounded in the car trying to figure out how to drive it....................

:lol: :twisted: :P

8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:46 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:

...sure you can, but it won't be worth the effort without a better cam at the bare minimum.

D/W
what kinda cam/valve work should be done, id like to do a 4bbl upgrade what kinda stuff should i be lookin at

Post subject: This is some great info
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:58 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Im glad I found you guys. I think I have decided to go with a clifford intake and headers. A CARTER carb. A clifford cam and have some millwork done on the head and block. I think it will be worth it but I value the opinion of all of you here. Cause you all easily know more than I. So if you have any other suggestions I will gladly hear them. Like I said I was always a Bowtie Guy, this is my first venture into the Mopar world.

here is a link to a pic of my first ride I ever built 14 years ago
http://www.pctradepost.net/images/71.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:25 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
......I don't care for carters myself, but plenty of people here seem to like them. I had a two barrel on my '78 318 pick up and it was the worst POS I ever had for a carb. that could be just bad luck though (metering rods kept going bad).

with how much cash you have, the build up of 4 barrel manifold and headers sounds good, but as the other folks said the cam will really help you out to take advantage of the extra carb. how radical cam you get depends on head work, and head work can be pricey, very pricey. then again, shaving and a good 3 angle valve job can go along way.

I suggest decide on what octane gas you want to run, that will give you and idea of what compression you want to have, that will dictate the amount of headwork you want to shoot for.

-dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:04 pm 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
......I don't care for carters myself, but plenty of people here seem to like them. I had a two barrel on my '78 318 pick up and it was the worst POS I ever had for a carb. that could be just bad luck though (metering rods kept going bad).
How in the world do metering rods go bad :?:

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:28 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
they weren't going into the jets, and the tips bent. Not sure how it started, but when I pulled it apart, they were bent. Ended up selling the thing to my uncle, and he just replaced the whole thing

dave