Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:23 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Jeeze!....thats TIGHT! Like ....WAY TIGHT!.....now kids,,,,dont try this at home. Professional only....

How do you even measure that while its running? Doncha wreck the feelers?

Ok Dan,,,,you seem tired....Ill argue the point this time.

Post subject: Re: Fun with Valve Lash
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:59 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I did say I was using a stock lift cam and I failed to mention an uncut head, so, there was plenty of room.
Mmkay, if you say so. I don't feel like arguing.
:)

Me neither, just giving my experience with the little jewels.

Budd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:09 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
Jeeze!....thats TIGHT! Like ....WAY TIGHT!.....now kids,,,,dont try this at home. Professional only....

How do you even measure that while its running? Doncha wreck the feelers?

Ok Dan,,,,you seem tired....Ill argue the point this time.
What argue? I'm just stating personal experience.

Yes, I set them hot, engine running and when I finished the idle quality sucked and it wouldn't accelerate, so I put it back to the 0.008 and 0.010 inch settings, where it ran the best.

Oh, and I've got some 30+ years of experience as a automotive, heavy equipment and small enginme mechanic (you _don't_ want to know what I set Briggs Stratton clearances at for performance use)

If Dan is the same Dan I met years back in a.a.d.t., then he knows me from that group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:11 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
If Dan is the same Dan I met years back in a.a.d.t., then he knows me from that group.
Maybe, maybe not. There're a lot of people in a.a.d.t, and have been for years. Many of them are named "Dan", and over the years there've been a few Budds. Mr. Cochran? That you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:27 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. There're a lot of people in a.a.d.t, and have been for years. Many of them are named "Dan", and over the years there've been a few Budds.

What'd you call yourself in that group?
mr-d150, Budd Cochran or Charles Cochran.

I'm the guy that Max 340 (aka MAXDodge) had the discussion about torque wrenches with and the guy that Lloyd R. Parker in the Chrysler group says can't threshold brake a 64 Valiant or a 68 Fury but I haven't been in that group for a few years.

Budd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:32 pm 

Car Model:
Ah yes. I'd forgot about MAX340. He went in my killfile shortly after making and defending a ludicrous claim of losing 15mph off his top speed as a result of changing from a 7-1/4" to an 8-1/4" rear axle with the same gear ratio. And Yoyd Parker, thankfully, touch wood, has pretty much disappeared. I'm guessing eventually Emory U told him to get off Usenet or get off their property.

And you, then, would be the guy who mentioned the Hoosier Idiot Light back in 1998.

Welcome onboard. Please keep hands and feet inside the car at all times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:23 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Hmmmm... lemme go get some popcorn, this could be quite the show! LOL.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:54 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
Ah yes. I'd forgot about MAX340. He went in my killfile shortly after making and defending a ludicrous claim of losing 15mph off his top speed as a result of changing from a 7-1/4" to an 8-1/4" rear axle with the same gear ratio. And Yoyd Parker, thankfully, touch wood, has pretty much disappeared. I'm guessing eventually Emory U told him to get off Usenet or get off their property.

And you, then, would be the guy who mentioned the Hoosier Idiot Light back in 1998.

Welcome onboard. Please keep hands and feet inside the car at all times.
Max's problem on the axle was that he didn't realize the larger diff does require more HP because of the ring gear size, but the 7 1/4 needs more due to a less efficvient design, so it balances out.

I like Max, personally, but sometimes he should have stayed in the torque wrench argument.
:D

Ah, you remember that dumb light? :lol:

For the uninformed, Indiana in the early 60's recommended the installation of a white "running light" on the front of cars, which usually was connected to the points side of the coil . . . yep, if it started it was a miracle. But the main problem was it didn't help a bit to reduce accidents.

About like DRL's do today.

Budd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:56 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
he didn't realize the larger diff does require more HP because of the ring gear size
No, it doesn't.
Quote:
but the 7 1/4 needs more due to a less efficvient design
No, it doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:58 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
Hmmmm... lemme go get some popcorn, this could be quite the show! LOL.
Are you going to rent a movie?

I vote for Fantastic Four. . . . and I like lots of butter on my Popcorn, OK?

As you can see, Dan and I've known each other for a while, but he'll be mad when he finds out I lost the number for those 12V 4 3/4" aircraft landing lights I like for fog / driving use.

Budd

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:01 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
and I like lots of butter on my Popcorn, OK
Aren't you that triple bypass heart problem guy that is a maintenance man for a retirement home that a few years back recommended a guy with a stock 1983 slant six dodge truck, oughta plug a Quadrajet on it and it'll run 100% better as a performance 'upgrade'!?!?!? Or were you the guy with the 60's dart that got 42 mpg when driving in Colorado?

You're not altavoz's brother-in-law, are you? :shock:

Post subject: Re: ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:49 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
and I like lots of butter on my Popcorn, OK
Aren't you that triple bypass heart problem guy that is a maintenance man for a retirement home that a few years back recommended a guy with a stock 1983 slant six dodge truck, oughta plug a Quadrajet on it and it'll run 100% better as a performance 'upgrade'!?!?!? Or were you the guy with the 60's dart that got 42 mpg when driving in Colorado?

You're not altavoz's brother-in-law, are you? :shock:
I'm not sure if I am or not. I know that some of what you say is close to what I have said or done, but like Agent Maxwell Smart would say, " You missed it by that much."

I've had Polio, a double bypass, eight heart attacks and now type 2 diabetes, I've never recommended a Q-jet on a /6 but it is an oft misunderstood carburetor, I used to work for an assisted living facility, and I only got a best of 41 miles per gallon out of a 225 on one trip to Colorado Springs from Canon City and return. It only averaged about 37 mpg.

If you have a problem with any of those item, fine. I don't ask that anyone accept anything I say. I offer my personal experience and Christian values of honesty and truth. I do not exaggerate or lie.

If they are rejected by you, that is your choice, it doesn't prove I am making false statements, just that YMMV always applies.

Budd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:54 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
he didn't realize the larger diff does require more HP because of the ring gear size
No, it doesn't.
Quote:
but the 7 1/4 needs more due to a less efficvient design
No, it doesn't.
Ok, no problem, no argument. I'm not going to reopen that discussion.

Budd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:07 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Good info. and up-date.
Unless you have "profiled" the cam and know exactly how the lash ramp(s) look, it is wise to try different lash settings in an attempt to improve performance.
It is nice to know that the "custom grind" cam we installed in your new engine likes tighter lash settings, tighter lash keeps the noise and the wear down.
I am really pleased with that "dual pattern" cam grind we decided to use, it has a great idle and low speed power, plus it revs strong to 5000 RPM! :D
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yes, I love that cam - it idles fairly smoothly, with just a hint of lope so that you know it's not stock.

With the 3.55's that car now screams.

Not that I do this *all* the time, but if I'm at a stop and just stomp on the gas to the floor, it'll light up the back tire for about 10 to 20 feet (depending on what kind of pavement I'm on and whether the tires are cold).

With that being said, I'm treating the motor like royalty, letting it warm up nice, keeping good synthetic in it, changing oil often, not stomping on it too often.

But...

The other day I went down to our San Jose office, and as I was pulling in to the underbuilding garage, I saw some fellow employees.

So I thought I would impress them with a little brake-stand action.

I locked up my new Stainless Steel Brakes front discs and let the rear drums take some heat. Got the back wheel SMOKING on top of a rubber speedbump at the garage entrance.

Laid down about 15 feet of rubber before I let off (there's also a wall I did not want to hit).

Then when the smoke cleared I noticed that I took BIG CHUNKS out of the speedbump that I "started" on. Chunks of rubber were sprayed, shotgun-like about 10 feet into the driveway that leads into the garage.

Two weeks later, I was talking to my wife "honey, I think I need some new tires, these are getting kind of worn for some reason."

;-)

k

p.s. - I forget if I told you or not - but I'm actually running REGULAR gas with no pinging or knocking at all. I just add some CD2 Lead Substitute and I'm golden.

p.p.s. - I recently (after I got the gears and some new 235 tires) got in a stoplight race with a BMW Z-3. On a short block, we actually tied, although I have to admit she was starting to pull ahead *very* slightly before we had to brake for the next light.

I'm having more fun with this car than grownups should be allowed to have.

1963 Dodge Dart, motor by Doug Dutra, Offenhauser two carb intake, Pertronix, Clifford 6x2, Flowmaster 40's, Erson RV15/295 RDP, head work. Addco anti-sway bar, urethane suspension bushings, KYB's, racing leafs, SSBC discs. Need ZDDP? Get STP.