Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Accelerator Cable
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:47 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
HI I finished my super six manifold conversion on my 66 A body ( Valiant ) when i cut the holes in my firewall for the gas pedal bolts and the cable square hole I used a templet made from my donor car, a 78 Volare s/w.
I moved the bolt holes for the pedal up about an inch from my templet because of an indentation in the 66 firewall but kept the square hole exactly the same so it would line up properly with the manifold.
When I made the Templet in the Volare I made a mark on it using the starter motor bolt for reference and matched it to the starter motor bolt in my 66.
I am very happy with it except for one thing. The internal cable length. My gas pedal kinda of just layed on the floor at the bottom, so I put 3 wire ties around the cable ( like crimping a lead weight around a fishing line) making it seem mechanically about 3/4 inch shorter. raising the bottom of the pedal off the floor and making it more fuctional. Sorry for such a long story , here is my question.
Is their a part number for a acelerator cable that is about an inch shorter or how can I do a better job of shortening this cable?
Thanks Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:50 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The stock slant cable is a bit long, the next shorter is the stock supersix cable, if that's not short enough you need an A-body V-8 cable...most dodge dealers have these available to order or may stock them as 'V-8' swaps are pretty common...the only problem will be the cable is a pre-75 so it'll use the old round hole, not the square one, so you'll need a couple of washers to 'bush' it...

good luck,

-D.Idiot

Post subject: cable
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:42 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
thanks, I'll shop around for the V - 8 cable. Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:29 pm 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
On the Volare, the cable is supposed to make a loop and I mounted it the same way on my '64 Valiant. Mine had a tag that told how the loop was supposed to be oriented.

Post subject: Some kinds...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:07 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
On the Volare, the cable is supposed to make a loop and I mounted it the same way on my '64 Valiant. Mine had a tag that told how the loop was supposed to be oriented.
I noticed on the 1979 I just stripped had the 'long cable with the loop'... the supersixes I have pulled out of 77-78's have the short cable...

either/and/or...

-D.Idiot