Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 75 Dart Carb ID question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:25 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
On my non california 1975 Dodge Dart with 225, 1 brl holley. Advance auto lists 2 diff. reman. carbs. for automatics. 1 says with idle enrichment adjustmnet, the other says with evaporation control. what's the diff? what do I have? what do I order? rebuild company is Champion. I looked at Rockauto, they only list 1 carb. what gives? other rebuilders offer SEVERAL! w and w/o idel enrichment, w and w/o float vent. I don't know what I need here. Help!!! thnx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:48 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
You are begging for continued aggravation by getting a remanufactured carburetor...especially starting out with a poor design like the Holley 1945, which is what you have. You may want to rethink this project and go to a different, better-designed carburetor.

However, if you are determined to proceed in the direction you're headed, the non-California, non-high-altitude '75s did not use idle enrichment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:23 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
its all stock....what would you run? carter 1 brl? what year? any diff in the hose attachment points? throttle linkage or choke set up? I thought keeping it OEM style would be best.

on top of the float bowl is a little screw in valve thing. Is that a "power valve"? a 74 holley doesn't have it. do I need one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:28 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Yes that is the Holley 1945's power valve. Holley's have power valves (suck) and carters have metering rods (better).

The Holley 1945 is a piece of junk. Both my truck and my car are blessed with these tempermental little bastards. It flows poorly, has a backassards design, and is a pain to set up properly.

Classic 70's "emissions carb" Makes a nice paperweight.

Do your self a favor and get a good Carter BBS 1-barrel. Dan can easily help you locate one.

Remanufactured carbs suck to, I am also blessed with one of those.

Experience is the best teacher. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:25 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
its all stock....what would you run? carter 1 brl?
That's what I tend to gravitate towards when equipping 1bbl setups, yes.
Quote:
what year?
For a '75, the closest match would be a Carter BBS for a '73 or '74 Dodge D100 pickup with 225 engine. These aren't super-easy to come by, and your only available choice may be a remanufactured carb. Some brands (Tomco, Holley-II, which is Holley's remanufacturing operation) stand you a better chance of success than other brands (Cardone, Arrow, Champion...), but the first choice pick is an original carb, carefully and completely refurbished by an expert such as the Old Carb Doctor (800-945-CARB). Finding a core will be the most difficult part.
Quote:
any diff in the hose attachment points?
No. While you're at it, do the fuel line mod.
Quote:
throttle linkage
The 1974 and later carburetors have an inbuilt throttle return spring. This isn't intended as the one and only return spring, but as a safety setup such that the ordinary external spring, not a part of the carb, cannot cause a runaway car if it breaks. If you install a pre-'74 carburetor, it's wise to install dual springs in place of the factory single spring. This isn't hard; you can use the factory small-diameter spring and slip an aftermarket larger-diameter spring over it. Other than that, no difference.
Quote:
choke set up?
The choke rod won't quite hook up correctly. Now's a great time to go to the electric choke kit, which will offer you the significant advantage of being able to adjust your choke thermostat—something you cannot do with the stock 1975 item.
Quote:
I thought keeping it OEM style would be best.
That's not always necessarily the case. By 1975, things were getting pretty desperate at Chrysler, between an internal cash crunch on the one hand and Federal emission and safety laws rapidly changing and causing desperation measures to keep the production lines turning out legal cars on the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:42 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Dan (or other sages's) ...a few other follow on's;
1) where can I locate an elec. choke for a 74 Carter bbs?
2) what about fitting a longer choke rod in the interim?
3) what is the "fuel line mod"?
4) will the stock 75 air cleaner fit the carter?
5) what is the best set up for good mileage???
6) this will be my daily driver...what mileage can I expect?
7) what is the diff. between an "H1" and the Carter BBS. both are offered for the same year. (both reman Holley 2's)
8) for 73 d100's, they offer a Holley 1920 and the H1 carb...is still the 74 Carter that much of a better carb than even the 1920???
9) is the 1920 a more simple swap than the BBS?

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:53 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
Thanks Dan (or other sages's) ...a few other follow on's;
1) where can I locate an elec. choke for a 74 Carter bbs?
Click the link I provided, which contains two sources.
Quote:
2) what about fitting a longer choke rod in the interim?
"Longer" is not the problem.
Quote:
3) what is the "fuel line mod"?
Click the link I provided. (sounds like you maybe didn't know text that appears in red indicates a clickable link).
Quote:
4) will the stock 75 air cleaner fit the carter?
Yes.
Quote:
5) what is the best set up for good mileage?
A well-tuned, well-designed carb.
Quote:
6) this will be my daily driver...what mileage can I expect?
Need a lot more info on the car's equipment, mileage and condition, your driving style, etc.
Quote:
7) what is the diff. between an "H1" and the Carter BBS. both are offered for the same year. (both reman Holley 2's)
"H1" is catalogue shorthand. It means "Holley 1bbl". Likewise, "C1" means Carter 1bbl, "S2" means Stromberg 2bbl, etc. It doesn't indicate the carburetor model, just the maker and number of barrels.
Quote:
8) for 73 d100's, they offer a Holley 1920 and the H1 carb...is still the 74 Carter that much of a better carb than even the 1920???
The Holley 1920 is the "H1" (Holley 1bbl) carburetor used on the '73 D100. And yes, the Carter is better.
Quote:
9) is the 1920 a more simple swap than the BBS?
No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:15 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
yup..didn't know about the red text! thanks.

the elec. choke says 73 and earlier, it should be OK with the 74 d100 carter, yes? I sent and email to Carbsonly.

The only carter I can find quick is a Champion rebuilt for a 74 D100, am I better off with that one than the 75 Champion 1945? sorry, I just can't fathom the 1945 is that bad.....is it really that BAD???

How will the stock hoses connect from my 75 (1945carb) to the 74 BBS? is there a carb hookup for the ECS hose?

car: 4 dr, dart, AC, open rear (2.76?), plain jane model. I drive conservative...mostly suburban/hwy. my guess? 22 mpg?

thanks for all you help fellas (esp. DAN!)

Last edited by dookdart on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:19 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
the elec. choke says 73 and earlier, it should be OK with the 74 d100 carter, yes?
Yes, it'll work.
Quote:
The only carter I can find quick is a Champion rebuilt for a 74 D100
Re-read what I wrote about Champion rebuilt carburetors.
Quote:
am I better off with that one than the 75 Champion 1945?
If for some reason you have decided you must buy a Champion rebuilt carburetor, then yes.
Quote:
I just can't fathom the 1945 is that bad.....is it really that BAD?
I'm not in the habit of repeating myself.
Quote:
4 dr, dart, AC, open rear (2.76?), plain jane model. I drive conservative...mostly suburban/hwy. my guess? 22 mpg?
22mpg is not out of the question once everything's tuned and adjusted properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:22 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Your a good man DAN...thank you for your patience! If you know of any other source for a carter BBS....please let me know.