Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: megasquirt suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:21 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I have a 65 V100 that has been sitting about a decade. I'm in the middle of putting it back together with new floors, frame connectors, t5 trans, etc...

I want to replace the wire harness with something that is more modern with more fuses and able to handle more power safely. I want the harness to be designed around a mpi system from the start instead of hacking and splicing at a later date. Which megasquirt would be the best for my application. I would like a complete sequential mpi system with dis (coil packs). The car isn't a turbo but I would like the ability to add one later without much extra electronic modifications. I've been reading over on msefi.com and some of it a tad advanced for someone that has never touched a megasquirt. Also can a stock lean burn distributor be used as a cam sensor or is a crank trigger required. thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:09 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I am a bit a head of you, ( I am soldering up my Megasquirt now), but behind Pierre, Lou, and Matt. I don't think that you need to come up with a "special" wiring harness that incorporates the megasquirt and lights, radio, etc. I could see how you could do that, but the Megasquirt box is built around using a single connector for its inputs and outputs. So, I would : Just a couple of thoughts. You would also want to have a good plan for your fuel pump, including a relay, fuses, and a "bump" switch. I want the fuel pump to shut off immediately, if I am in an accident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:13 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
You cannot do sequential with MS yet, but multi-point batch fire works (on my 68 now). You can drive coil-on-plug or distrib-less ignitions using MS and MSII. You probably want MS v3 with a MSII processor to allow timing advance control and the latest hardware.

I have taken the cobble-wiring approach so far. Painless Wiring is supposed to be nice, but expensive.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:42 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I was considering the painless kit. It runs arounds $300 usd, but is fairly complete. I had already planned a complete fuel system change since the original lines have been gone as long as the floor. I had planned a 3/8" feed (I know it's overkill) and 5/16 return to a new fuel tank with new 3/8 sender. The cars original tank wound up in a dart a few years back. I want this car to last until the end of time (or the gasoline supply dries up) so I am spending time and money to do it right the first time.

So do I need a crank sensor or will the lean burn dist work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I didn't disturb my original harness and added my own wiring on top. I used a toggle switch in the ash tray in place of the cigrette lighter and ran a wire from the starter relay bolt to it. from that switch it feeds everything else for the efi system.

I used the relay board and put it under the hood next to windsheild washer bottle - but I'm making some plans to get rid of it - I don't like the screw terminal connectors and the underhood heat (esp with clifford headers) make it get toastier then I'd like it to be.

I would highly suggest against a one size fits all kit. I already went through that nightmare with my GM kit I started with. Go to a wrecking yard and lop off any connectors you need, then just buy spools of wire. In the end it will be cheaper probably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:51 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
So do I need a crank sensor or will the lean burn dist work?
This may be the most confusing part of the megasquirt family of systems. You can use megasquirt to do nothing but fuel injection, if you want. In this case, you would use standard points, a petronix distributor, Dan's HEI approach, or whatever floats your boat.

You can use Megasquirt to control your ignition as well. There are several ways of doing this, ranging from DIS/EDIS/Direct coil methods that require a crank trigger to several other methods that use a trigger in your dizzy http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/pickups.htm.

Pick your poison. Each has advantages and disadvantages. I am leaning strongly towards the Ford EDIS system for my slant, but I will be the first to admit that the choices are rather boggling.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:06 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
A lean-burn (fixed timing) dist with HEI 7-pin ignition is the easiest way to go and still get timing control. This is what I'm about to set up on my 68 Dart.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:59 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
My Megasquirt also has a unique harness that only ties in with the main wiring harness at the positive battery cable. While you could design a wiring harness from scratch and incorporate Megasquirt into it, most of the wires for my Megasquirt installation follwed entirely different routes from the stock setup anyway.

I have a V2.2 board and will be running Megasquirt 'N' Spark - Extra. If it had been out when I ordered my controller, I would have gone with the V3 board but stuck with the MS-I processor. You can pair that with a Lean Burn distributor and have direct control over the spark without any external ignition module or VR conditioner circuit.

For distributorless ignition, right now the easiest option would be to go with a Ford EDIS setup. This requires attatching a trigger wheel to the crank pulley. Most of the other solutions are more complicated from a wiring standpoint but still require a crank trigger.

If you must have sequential injection, you can get a MS-II kit and wait a couple months. Bruce and Al are working on a device called the router board that will enable using this. I wouldn't really bother - most "sequential" systems don't really time their injector pulses at high RPM when you make the most power, anyway. Sequential injection is mostly for an ultra-smooth idle and meeting low emissions standards.