Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Do I buy the Clifford Hyper-Pak, or wait for Pentastar Parts Hyper-Pak?
Poll ended at Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:03 pm
Buy the Clifford Hyperpak 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Wait for Pentastar Parts 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
Forget the Hyper-Pak, use an Offy 54%  54%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 24
 Post subject: Hyper-Pak poll
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:03 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Hi everyone,

I have finally run into a little extra money with which to buy a hyper- pak intake for my Dart. I've heard that Clifford is having issues with the castings and quality control. I also recently read that an Australian company is gearing up to build a repro hyperpak intake (pentastarparts.com/au) for the slant six.

My question is, should I wait for the Aussie manifold to come along, or is it ok to go with Clifford?

-Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I say use the Offy unless you are ready to spend ALOT of time fine tuning the engine to run right on the street ir you arer building a race engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:50 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
I would get more information on the Ozzy H-Pak...
I wonder if that will ever happen or if they are just "testing the water" for sales.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:02 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
the hyper paks were originally used on 170's and loved rpm. if you are going to do any driving on the street, i would go with the offy. i have a clifford but i got a smokin' deal on it.

zedpapa

Post subject: Hyper-Pak reproduction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:05 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
hi folks....

As the proprietor of PENTASTAR PARTS I can assure you that we are serious about producing such a manifold although we have our hands full right now with another intake ( 4 barrel Long-runner Hemi 6 ) catering for local demand first.

I can say that our manifold "will not" be an exact reproduction of the Hyper-Pak but rather a resembled interpretation of it. I can confirm that we WILL be casting injector bosses into the manifold and although there is nothing set in stone right now, we have always been extremely receptive to feedback and/or suggestions relating to our products. I mention this because if there was ever a time to make a suggestion re: design changes, then this is it. We have already heard that the Hyper-Pak is perhaps not a "streetable" solution, I would appreciate some more feedback on this.... is it runner length contributing to this ? are there any known issues with the Hyper-Pak design that can addressed ?

Perhaps this topic requires it's own thread ( I will leave the mods to determine that )... if anyone would like to contact me directly please use the following details

Email : sales@pentastarparts.com.au
Phone : (61) 2 9608 8888

--Ray--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:17 pm 
Supercharged

DusterIdiot is really the guy to take the lead for this topic since he has a daily driver hyper-pak that he has worked all the bugs out on.

The problems with the hyper-pak manifold on a daily driver, as I understand it, is the there is not provision for carb heat and the runners are so long that it take a long time for the intake to heat up to the point that the fuel will not condense out of the charge causing all sorts of driveability problems.

Further, automatic transmission cars have the added issue of the kickdown linkage, but a Lokar kit can remedy that issue.

My only suggestions for improvements to the hyper-pak would be the fuel injector bungs (you are already on top of that one), a divided plenum, and possibly carb heat provisions.

Post subject: Yeah...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:33 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
We have already heard that the Hyper-Pak is perhaps not a "streetable" solution, I would appreciate some more feedback on this.... is it runner length contributing to this ? are there any known issues with the Hyper-Pak design that can addressed ?

I would say to help the street guys you could cast in a water jacket that would help heat the plenum and runners about 6" after the plenum, this would help the 'street drivers' using carburators, this is not needed for the EFI guys, and would be plugged for the 'strip' guys... Divided plenum is a 50/50 shot as it does help with mid-range, but also due to 'heat variances' causes some carb-tunability issues (this might go away with the plenum heater, or even EFI).

-D.idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:24 pm 
Supercharged

I can see it now, soon there will be limited production runs for a "cold shield" to keep the front three runners on the hyper-pak manifold the same temperature as the rear three...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:40 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Without commenting on whether you should use a short-style or long-style intake, I can say that Ray at Pentastar Parts runs a good shop and does quality work.

Post subject: Hyper-Pak
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:43 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks guys for your feedback/suggestions.

The intake we currently have in production ( Hemi Hurricane ) is a modified interpretation of a factory long-runner intake designed for a limited number of the Australian E34 Pacer. I have attached some pics for your perusal of the original sample we used as our mule. You can see that the factory actually had a water jacket directly underneath the plenum which consequently we deleted from our pattern due to consumer feedback. But given the length v's width ratio of the Slant 6 Hyper-Pak intake, it may be worth incorporating something like this. Thoughts ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:20 pm 
Supercharged

It looks like an angry octopus. And you Australian guys got most of the cool mopar developments. Utes, hemi-sixes, better looking cars. I am very envious.

But seriously, I think that carb heat needs to at least be an option for the non-fuel injected street crowd.

Out of curiosity, do you have a rough estimate of what the purchase price would be and any guesses on average shipping to the United States for an intake would be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:08 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Ray, thanks for posting that Ozzie intake with the water plenum. I can see that it would be an easy modification I can make to my manifold to make it more streetable in cold weather. All thats necessary is an aluminum box welded under the intake, maybe up a little closer to the head if theres room. Please explain the routing on the three fittings.

Who's going to be the first to use the Hyper Pak with one of Bob's superchargers! :idea: $$$$$$$$ :shock:

Post subject: Er...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:15 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
All thats necessary is an aluminum box welded under the intake, maybe up a little closer to the head if theres room
He'll have to make it that whole falt area to be effective, welding one on with cliffords 'potmetal' casting is a gamble, hen I had the splitter put into mine, I had an old casting and it wasn't 'nice'...the one reed sold me is a late casting and it has lots of nice airpockets in it...

Hopefully he'll be able to incorporate it as a casting instead of an 'add-on'...I think the 3 fittings are 2 for the heaterhoses (in and out), and one looks more like a temp sensor so you can monitor how 'hot' the plenum gets, but I'd use it as an 'out' to make sure the mix is 'even'.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:11 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks for the input DI. The third tube threw me. I've run water heat on ply flathead motors that only had the in/out fittings. The temp gauge is a good idea though.

Are you saying the Clifford Hyper pak is not TIG weldable? If so, it could still be done using epoxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:05 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Are you saying the Clifford Hyper pak is not TIG weldable? If so, it could still be done using epoxy.

What I'm saying is, if you do weld it, be prepared to do repairs on your weld...the stuff is...nasty... you'll probably get a good weld then for no reason BLAM! you hit a hole/pocket/lump of foundry floor alumostuff and you'll have to fill it good...

Epoxy should work, although I epoxy coated my manifold and it's already starting to flake away (and I cooked it and cleaned it good during prep time, then sanded it all over....uggghhh...I shoulda just jet coated it...)

-D.Idiot