Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:13 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Folks,

Because I have always worked with 60's slant six trucks, and because the trucks always had some parts "heavier duty" as compared to cars, and because the trucks have cartridge type oil filters, I have been wondering if cartridge filters are "better" design than spin on, or is it subjective?

I realize new spin on technology may make a better filter itself than is available in cartridge technology, but I have always liked the notion of having oil left in the filter and cannister because the cartridge has a standpipe inside it, for instance, while spin ons have to drain down.

Opinions, anyone, or suggestions for "best" cartridge? Wix is made here in NC, Fram is available but ...

Thanks
rock
'64d100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:32 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
They both work acceptably well, as evident by the long and happy life of slant sixes equipped with each type. There's about equal mess when changing either type on a slant. The replaceable-element type is environmentally friendlier (less waste). And, you get a much easier look at how the filter held up, that you picked last time (so you know whether to stay with the same brand or pick something else). The cartridges themselves are virtually identical in materials and construction to the elements in spin-on filters, so a new name-brand replacement of either type incorporates whatever is the latest in filter media and construction techniques.

The replaceable-element housing contains antidrainback and filter bypass valves made using older materials and techniques, but they were meant to last the life of the engine. The bypass and antidrainback valves in a spin-on filter are made of newer materials and designs, but are meant to last only as long as the filter (few thousand miles) so no real advantage one way or the other there.

So...pick what you want! As for brands, Wix continues to be an excellent pick, widely available and not significantly more expensive than Fram's trash. Last time I checked, new replacement cartridges for the replaceable-element type come with a new cover gasket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Hey, Dan, I don't wanna start a war here, but as I have used Fram for years without ever a problem, what is so bad about them? Had a buddy of mine, bought a whole case of Hastings filters about 10 years ago because they were "supposed to be the best" when he had his 440-6-pak '71 RR, but the 1st time his dad used one out of the case for his 81 van with a 318
it went bad like a week later and all of a sudden no oil pressure upon a startup (luckily he shut it down right away, no damage to the 318) and wound up tossing like 1/2 a case cuz it ticked him off so bad. Theres good-n-bad in all of em.

Post subject: Oil filter study
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
See:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Hey, Dan, I don't wanna start a war here, but as I have used Fram for years without ever a problem, what is so bad about them?
Cheap materials, shoddy build, lousy quality control, small elements. See the link emsvitil provided as well as this thread and this one.
Quote:
Had a buddy of mine, bought a whole case of Hastings filters about 10 years ago because they were "supposed to be the best"
Donno who told 'im that or what made him think it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:09 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Since the topic of filters rears its head every couple months mebbe we need a sticky talking about air and oil filters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:33 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Go to Bobistheoilguy.com, way more info on this subject than anyone needs!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I've been using the spin-flow filters from NAPA (made by Wix) for quiet a while. They have a really good backflow valve and catch a lot of crap that comes floating through.

Post subject: Pep Boys filter........
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I like them cuz there cheaper and they are actually made my Purolator..........

Same numbering system................
But, that might not mean anything............

But, this does; I've cut open the Pep Boys and the Purolater and they were identical inside......... (it was a 30001 or something like that....... the new number for what was the PUR1A)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:34 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
I like them cuz there cheaper and they are actually made my Purolator..........

Same numbering system................
But, that might not mean anything............

But, this does; I've cut open the Pep Boys and the Purolater and they were identical inside......... (it was a 30001 or something like that....... the new number for what was the PUR1A)
I did the same thing, to check it out. I have a comericial acct with PEP Boys, and every month they have a Saturday one day special sale. Last week it was the 30001 filter for $1.39 ea (does make you think) in case lots, and 30lb jug of R134a for $150. Got 2 cases and 2 jugs.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225