Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:42 am 
I've searched the forum for the type of auto trans fluid to use in my 63 A904. The motor is out of the car now, so I want to drain the converter and get all of the old fluid out I can.

I have searched the archives and there seems to be no one definitive answer to this question. Of course the book calls for Type A which I haven't seen lately. Some swear by Ford Type F, some say Dexron, and some say ATF+3.

What is best for regular (not drag racing) use? Or does it matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:11 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
you can use any fluid you like. i prefer type "f" as it is supposed to quicken shifts a bit, but not really noticeable on a street car.

-james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:37 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I've used Type F before with success. One thing is that it supposedly has a lower heat rating than Dextron or ATF+3. I haven't noticed much of a difference running any different fluids in a 904.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:47 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
I've been running Dexron in this pushbutton 904 ('64 Valiant) with no problems. I ran Type A in the original, but don't blame the fluid for the breakage that killed it. I think those 200,000 miles had a lot more to do with it.
Type A is still available here, but only in off-brands at the grocery stores ... :?

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:57 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Type-A/Suffix-A was replaced by Dexron throughout the auto industry in the late 1960s, and Dexron has been evolving ever since. Type-F was a Ford fluid of the late 60s through mid '70s, used in combination with specific clutch materials Ford was using in their transmissions at the time. It is an archaic fluid. Compared to Dexron, Mercon or Chrysler ATF+4, the Type-F has very poor lubricity, very poor resistance to oxidation, very poor extreme-pressure properties, very poor viscosity stability at cold and hot temperatures, very poor detergent action. It's a friction-unmodified fluid, which attracts drag racers to it because it causes harder shifts. That is its only claim to "fame".

Others, as you have seen in this thread, use Type-F because for one reason or another they prefer harder shifts. The Torqueflite is well enough engineered and built to be resistant to abuse, but I don't see any point in deliberately using an inferior fluid. There are less abusive ways of hardening the shifts if that is something you regard as desireable. It is common to hear or read that harder shifts are better for the life of the transmission, but that's not necessarily so; it's an oversimplification.

Off-the-shelf Dexron is your easiest, least costly choice, and it is a safe one. The latest Chrysler Mopar ATF+4 is better than the current Dexron in terms of virtually all the important performance characteristics, but ATF+4 is expensive. ATF+3 isn't as good as Dexron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:05 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
The price of +4 is in a constant state of flux. It was down to $11 usd a gallon about 6-7 months ago, but I believe it is back up to something around 20. One real nifty reason to go to the dealer is to get the reusable trans pan gasket. It is a hard plastic with rubber ribs that chrysler phased in at the end of the 90's and they claim it can be reused many many times. Most dealers keep them in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:12 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
Im with Dan on this one The transmission builder builds mine and Dale Rose transmission told us to put in Dexron and let it fly These are built race 904 transmissions Dale is rougher on his than i am. All my transmission has ever seen basicaly is 3500 rpm at launch and shift at 6000 with a manual valve body neither has had a hint of a problem Thanks Ron Parker :D

Using A Tennessee Moonshiner To Burn A Bagel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:11 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Just to throw another monkey wrench in here; I use Mobil 1 synthetic AFT which is spec'd for the latest Dexron applications, so I would expect it would also work well in a Torqueflite. I've used all Mobil 1 synthetic lubricants in my vehicles and I love them. The transmission in my truck (Toyota, which obviously is built differently than a Torqueflite) used to get pretty friggen hot on long drives (so hot the metal shifter would feel hot to the touch just by the heat being conducted through the linkage, though it never tripped the overheat light); but after a couple changes with synthetic to completely flush out the old fluid, the shifter hardly feels warm at all on long drives.

I plan to use this in the 904 on my Duster when I go pick it up.

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:13 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Here's a monkey wrench to counter your monkey wrench. My last trans (65 904)service was sometime last fall and I changed it all (including convertor drain) to +4. Since then the trans shifts a bit on the funky side. I really wish I had done a 1/rev band adjust at the same time since I get some growling now when pulling out. I drained close to 2 gallons out of the trans so I got almost all of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:36 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Just to throw another monkey wrench in here; I use Mobil 1 synthetic AFT which is spec'd for the latest Dexron applications, so I would expect it would also work well in a Torqueflite. I've used all Mobil 1 synthetic lubricants in my vehicles and I love them. The transmission in my truck (Toyota, which obviously is built differently than a Torqueflite) used to get pretty friggen hot on long drives (so hot the metal shifter would feel hot to the touch just by the heat being conducted through the linkage, though it never tripped the overheat light); but after a couple changes with synthetic to completely flush out the old fluid, the shifter hardly feels warm at all on long drives.

I plan to use this in the 904 on my Duster when I go pick it up.
I've used Mobil 1 synthetic in the past, and its a good fluid. But I don't think its particularly great. For one thing, its labelling leads me to believe that its not a true full synthetic oil like their engine oil is. Look at where it says that its synthetic "exclusive of carrier oil." Meaning it has a synthetic additive package carried in a conventional base oil. If you want a full-synthetic (I personally don't see the need for it in a transmission) then use ATF +4, but otherwise I'd go for a name-brand Dexron-III fluid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:23 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Here's a monkey wrench to counter your monkey wrench. My last trans (65 904)service was sometime last fall and I changed it all (including convertor drain) to +4. Since then the trans shifts a bit on the funky side. I really wish I had done a 1/rev band adjust at the same time since I get some growling now when pulling out. I drained close to 2 gallons out of the trans so I got almost all of it.
I wonder if adjusting the band would've prevented the funky shifting you're dealing with now. I'll give the +41 a try when I rebuild the 904 in my Duster and if I have the same issues, I'll post up (and then change it out with Mobil 1, heh).

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:21 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I would just use the Dexron. You can run the ford stuff and it won't blow up, but it may wear the linings more quickly. The latest Dexron is more advanced. If you want to shift quicker get a Transgo kit. The type F has not changed and may get harder to find anyway. Even an old ford that has had the trans rebuilt lately should be running dexron since the linings will not be asbestos based. I did run redline ATF in the original trans in my GN and it worked very well. The only reason was with the shift kit it shifted very hard when cold and got lazy when it was hotter than normal along with the pump whining. The Redline shifted the same all the time, no matter the temp. Later I had it rebuilt and upgraded the pump from six to ten vanes and backed off the line pressure a little. After that it was always fine with normal Dexron.