Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:48 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
On my 1974 Satellite /6. Tuned up pretty well, but I got an off-the-cuff response from an old timer @ work that my car was in the era (74-76?) when Chrysler increased cam overlap to meet emissions requirements.He says I will never get it to idle super smooth. Sounds plausible. Any idea if he is right ?? Thank You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:06 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
maybe streched timing chain? :?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/lncognito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:09 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
On my 1974 Satellite /6. Tuned up pretty well, but I got an off-the-cuff response from an old timer @ work that my car was in the era (74-76?) when Chrysler increased cam overlap to meet emissions requirements.He says I will never get it to idle super smooth. Sounds plausible. Any idea if he is right ??
He's wrong on all counts.

•The camshaft in your '74 was introduced for 1971, and while it does have increased overlap compared to the cam that went before, it doesn't have anywhere near enough overlap to cause a rough idle.

•There are lots of cars running around with that camshaft (or the MP version, which has 2° more overlap!) with glassy-smooth idle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:29 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Post 71 cams have diffrent idle speed setting as I recall from countless SSD's posts. IIRC that was 800-900?
That would get more air into the motor @idle so that can be part of the emissions plan at the time :?: :?: anyway whe never got emissions regulation down here so I'm just repeating what I have read from the experts.

In your particular case, maybe there's a small vacuum leak? or slightly bent outta shape distributer shaft? check the gap bethween every reluctor's teeth and the pickup. Maybe your idle circuit is going lean or rich (not anywhere near good in that case) or your timing is off for your configuration.

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:37 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
On my 1974 Satellite /6.
Sweeeet.:mrgreen:

You're running a 1945 Holley, right? They are a pain to get tuned right, thats more than likley your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:54 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Post 71 cams have diffrent idle speed setting as I recall from countless SSD's posts. IIRC that was 800-900?
Too fast. 750, 800.

And that same '71+ cam was used outside North America starting in '67, in countries were there were no exhaust emission laws.
Quote:
In your particular case, maybe there's a small vacuum leak?
Or a big vacuum leak called a Holley 1945...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:48 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
that same '71+ cam was used outside North America starting in '67, in countries were there were no exhaust emission laws.
Maybe that's the most used cam down here.... that's the dual pattern or the 244-244 borrowed from the marine division?
Quote:
hehe, that's one piece of junk....

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Eric, don't you have a 1945 on your 72 ?? Also any parts you need for your car ? I'm cutting up a rust case 1971 satellite four door /6 next week. Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:55 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
that same '71+ cam was used outside North America starting in '67, in countries were there were no exhaust emission laws.
Maybe that's the most used cam down here.... that's the dual pattern or the 244-244 borrowed from the marine division?
The latter. 244°-244°-26°.
Quote:
hehe, that's one piece of junk....[/quote]

As the weather's turning colder* up here in the Northern Hemisphere, the Holley 1945 driveability/won't stay running/response-reliability posts are on the upswing...

*-Note for any Argentine readers: "Cold" is the absence of warmth. Did you know that thermometers can actually go below zero? True.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:58 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
The latter. 244°-244°-26°.
OK, that's the one I'm talking about. Started in 67 as you state and they used till they left the country in 1979 or 1980. Wha'd you know.... you're right :wink:
Quote:
As the weather's turning colder* up here in the Northern Hemisphere, the Holley 1945 driveability/won't stay running/response-reliability posts are on the upswing...
*-Note for any Argentine readers: "Cold" is the absence of warmth. Did you know that thermometers can actually go below zero? True.
My sister who moved to peny just called yesterday. She can't believe how's up there, and her canadian boyfriend is almost in t-shirts and shorts.... :lol:

the most cold it would get here (from time to time) is max -10ºC. And that's rare. Average winter temps are in the range of -7ºC in the morning, to 5ºC during the day and then colder again. I guess that this is due to our towns being really close to the water, as the water acts like a temp range "cushion". Going to the middle of the country (or to the pacific side, near chiule, where we share the "cordillera de los andes".... it can get nasty cold. I guess that I can get away with no heat riser due to this matter :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Eric, don't you have a 1945 on your 72 ?? Also any parts you need for your car ? I'm cutting up a rust case 1971 satellite four door /6 next week. Dave
Nope. Came stock with a Holley 1920. I don't think the 1945's where used untill 1974 (lucky you, eh?). I tried running one and it felt like it had more umph according to my seat of the pants dyno, but hot starting was horrid. Tried another, and cold starting was almost impossible.

As for your '71, if it has front bumper guards on it and they are in good shape (for a driver), let me know. Thats about all I'm looking for right now.