Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:09 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1962 Valiant R Series - Australian (1961 in USA.)
G'day guys,

OK.......we'vbe been thinking of trying to make 62 Valiant horn buttons and have no idea of where to start. These are the horn buttons/emblems on the steering wheel centers that were also on later Vals as well.

Chrome looking with red and blue Valiant emblem and some other texturing as well.

They look like a simple plastic emblem, but it's the application of the other features which has us stumped. Does anyone here know a way to remake them, or at least how they were originally made ?

I can post a picture later, but hopefully you'll already know what I'm taliking about. OR......does anyone already make these items ?

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:25 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Which "1962" Valiant are we talking about here? The U.S. (S-model to you)) '62 Valiant used the same steering wheel centre emblem as the '63-'65 (AP5-AP6 to you). The first Australian "1962" Valiant (R-model to you, 1961 Valiant to us) used a one-year-only centre emblem physically but not cosmetically interchangeable with the 1960 Valiant item.

Start your search here (they already reproduce some Valiant emblems), they used to make the '62-'65 horn button but no longer list it, and/or check with the NSW R&S club to see where they got their guard & bootlid badges made, for those are identical in construction and material, differing only in cosmetic particulars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:08 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1962 Valiant R Series - Australian (1961 in USA.)
G'day Dan,

I am in in the NSW R&S Club. www.1962valiants.com

I mentioned 62 Valiants in particular because I figured guys over there would read "62" and think the model I'm talking about. It is the "S" Series........the horn button which was carried through to AP5 and 6.

When you mention the guard badges, they aren't the same material. the horn button is a hard plastic which is "metalised" with chrome plating. Not only that, but apparently the red and blue emblem in the center ISN'T paint.....it's a coloured foil (or so I'm told).

For sucha common item, I thought maybe someone would have some idea how they were (or are) made.

This is an item which - out here at least - people really require for their cars interior.

Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 am 

Car Model:
Well, as I say, the outfit I linked used to offer the '62-'65 Valiant horn button, but they no longer list it. Somewhere on their site is an explanation of why some items have dropped off the listing and how to go about getting them back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:05 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
there is a guy on ebay userame sniperloopas that made reproduction lancer gt badges (I got a hood badge from him, never got around to getting the trunk badge). maybe he could help? btw the hood badge still looks great after 5 yrs of constant sun exposure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:17 pm 

Car Model:
I remember the Lancer GT hood badge guy. Corresponded with him not long after he started listing those, a few years ago. As I recall he wasn't too interested in expanding the product line, but he'd do it with a (substantial) minimum order and upfront cash. Surely looks like quality stuff, tho!