Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:58 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I recently rotated my tires (13" radials) rear to front and front to rear. Both front tires were wearing on the inside over the period of 2 1/2 yrs (was rebuild front-end, alignment and new tires at the time,) and the rears still both look new. Now after changing them I drove 250 miles to the desert and I hear the front passenger tire sounding like its rubbing on something, but no marks at all. I did not have a new alignment done.

I'm thinking of putting the front right back on the way it was to see if that goes away, but should I put the other side back also until I get home if the one tire noise goes away? I'm in the desert and it's 105 degrees so I will do what it takes to get it within 200 miles of home and have AAA pick 'er up and tow it home...

Also, this car has drums all around and the wheels seem to fit better in the rear of the car and sit flush in the center against the "hub", but on the front, not so much, but they are on snug and tight.

Many Thanks for Your Help Guys, till then I'll go by a 2 1/2 ton floor jack at Auto Zone and get ready for the evening, so to cool down b4 sweating my butt off.

1964 Valiant Signet 200 Convertible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:32 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I know you said the front end was rebuilt and aligned. But something is wrong if the inside of the tires are wearing. The lower bushings, strut rods or wheel bearings, maybe even a crack in the K- frame. How bout your idler arm. Does this sound happen all the time?? or just during certain driving?

The Good Life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:16 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hi there, thanks for the reply...

If I wasn't so hot that day, I might remember that the tires were worn on the outside a bit.

There were no vibrations (it was very odd and everyone could hear it) It never had that happen before, but I did go purchase the floor jack and found an area to look at all this and saw nothing, grabbed everything and all is firm.

I put the tire back as it was and no noise. I believe it was just something I did when mounting the tire after rotation. Funny thing was I drove almost 200 miles (threw the mountains, at that) and no noises until I was in Palm Springs after a few hours of letting the car rest.

I'm not a mechanic, and all the work on my car I've done with a great friend that travels 150 miles to do projects on it, and when he was finally available called me and thought it was nothing, but still said LOOK at it, at any cost b4 traveling home Monday. He said maybe the excessive heat had something to do with it... I think it was ME and the HEAT.

I drove home with no noises and still fine, as this is my daily driver. Its worrisome to travel far with an old car even if everything has been rebuilt.

BTW: My car was manufactured on that same day 0906 in 1963 funny way to get a floor jack for its birthday (I was going to get one before leaving, and probably would still have waited if nothing happened.)

Thanks again and if you have anything else to ponder, I'm all ears.

Daniel

1964 Valiant Signet 200 Convertible